Other links

▼

Tuesday, 29 September 2026

WOYWW 904 Hops and bonkers chickens

Hi all, my desk for our weekly bloghop care of Sarah’s Craftshed is:

Since then I’ve tidied it up and added the hops, and the title, The Wolf of the Hedgerow, an old name for hops, relating to their vigorous growth and ability to choke out other plants. 


Our paintings were adapted from the style of Josie White from the Society of Botanical Artists, though linked to the local hop festival timing. 

I also been stuffing my ‘Bonkers Chickens’ as Jan called them - I rather like that title 😹. They’re made with toy safety yarn and stuffing and with Bella’s supervision, of course. She sends you all purrs.

One is for an art class friend and I’ll have five for the exhibition. 
This week’s art class is focusing on birds of Kent, so no golden pheasant, unfortunately. I’ll do a picture of the lovely Goldie from Helen’s photo separately. 

I had a lovely walk round Brockhill country park on Saturday, while it was still sunny - Our art class is in the Badger Room there. There were lots of families so no shy birds. It’s a lovely flat path round the lake so it’s great for their pushchairs, scooters and little bikes. 
This mallard was quite happy to be photographed, though I think he was hoping to be fed (despite notices everywhere saying ‘do not feed the birds’). I expect he can’t readπŸ˜€. 
I’m following Kent Birding pages on Facebook for inspiration, and am glad to see lapwings amongst them. They always remind me of when we lived in Clara Vale, on the Tyne, where there were often pairs of lapwings wheeling over the valley. One of the birders on that page, Cristi Vasile,  has given me permission to use his photo. Isn’t the sheen on this one’s wings glorious? 

I know we can use iridescent powder so that would work well for him. 

And finally:


This makes me laugh because the French supplier of some lineside cabinets on HS1 described them as having ‘Anti-Gravity paint’ so we imagined them floating across the Channel. (they should have said Anti Graffiti paint πŸ˜‚.) 


I’ve art class in the morning then have to drive up to Maidstone for a hospital appointment so it may be Wednesday evening or Thursday before I can visit your blogs. 
Happy WOYWW 
Hugs
Lynnecrafts xx













9 comments:

  1. your painting came out so well but the bonkers chickens (great name I agree with Jan) are fantastic. They look like something out of Chicken Run! I was tickled by the idea of anti gravity paint... Happy WOYWW Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Lynne πŸ«‚and Bella πŸΎπŸ’• what a joy it is to glimpse inside your week 😊 just ... wow ... your painting is gorgeous ... The wolf of the hedgerow...love it!!
    To your rainbow 🌈 coloured bonkers chickens 🀩😍I may be smiling wide 😁 how joyful they are ✨️✨️✨️πŸ₯°
    πŸ¦†Brockhill looks like such a beautiful place to spend some time ... the sheen on the wings is stunning ... the iridescent powders will work beautifully to capture them.
    Toooo your funnies πŸ˜πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜…especially the anti gravity ... your words brought images to mind with the paint 😁
    Enjoy your art class πŸ–Œ✏️🎨 and I hope all goes well with your hospital visit. It's been so lovely to visit πŸ«‚
    Wishing you a beautiful week ahead 🌟 love and hugs Tracy #5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done at getting no. one today. I love your art work and the chickens are just amazing, well done. Nice place to walk too. Thanks for the funnies too. Wishing you a very happy woyww with hugs, Angela x8x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chickens certainly have characters…they look like they are plotting something. Love your art class results.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonkers chickens…they're wonderful, can’t fail but be cheered by a bonkers chicken! I didn’t know that about hops, what a great pic you did - absolutely the style. As always, I do admire your tenacity with drawing lessons. Hope the trek up to Maidstone isn’t too onerous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those chickens gave so much personality! They really made me smile, those are going to be a huge success at the exhibition πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“ I’d never heard of hops being called The Wolf of the hedgerow before, how interesting, I bet they’ve been a huge part of herbalists’ ingredients for ages. I love lapwings and have fond memories of them in Northumberland, iridescent paint will be amazing on the wings xx
    Hugs LLJ 3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my your sketch is FANTASTIC - your finished piece amazing - love the juxtaposition of the coloured hop sprig and the flow into the words such movement with the curved roof/building and path too. BRILLIANT - even better that you got number #1 spot today too. Oh I see the link to Josie White's work now...excellent. Lovely river scene and gorgeous Lapwing photo and super duper chickens. Hugs Bj#7

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely painting of the oast house and the hops. It's interesting to discover old names for wild plants and Wolf of the Hedgerow is one I'd never heard before. Love your 'bonkers chickens'. Bella's doing a great job as quality controller! Your funnies are great and the photos taken on your walk make me want to go down to the park at the foot of my road just to see what's going on there. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #11

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your artwork is amazing! Congratulations on being number 1 too. Happy WOYWW!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.