Tuesday 7 December 2021

WOYWW 653 Herringbone and beach glass

Hi all, back again for our Wednesday bloghop care of Miss Julia at the Stamping Ground
I’m still crocheting the slipover. Funny to think that I barely did crochet before lockdown and now I don’t ever feel like knitting. These are my yarns. The multicoloured blue- purple is the one that didn’t work with my cat stitch shawl. 

It's coming on quite well. My husband's birthday is at the end of January.
I’m doing it in herringbone stitch which is really easy but makes a nice change from half-trebles. You just slip the first loop like a slip-stitch then finish the half- treble as normal. 

I still don’t feel very Christmassy but I’ve bought some beautiful earrings for a couple of goddaughters from a really good glass artist, Julie at Beach art glass.com. Aren’t they glorious? Which do you prefer?
She’s from Malvern. 



If I might be permitted a little boast, I heard this week that a fantasy short story I submitted for a Writing Magazine competition has been short-listed. I didn’t win but it’s only the 2nd time I’ve entered a writing competition so I’m really chuffed. I’ll put it on my writing page. It’s called the 99 Sorrows and came from a dream. Send me an email to lmcollis_at_icloud.com if you want to be added to the readers.


Onward and upward! Thanks Jan for forwarding the link to the Discoveries competition for the 1st 10,000 words of your draft first novel, run by the Women’s Prize for Fiction Trust. My submission went off last night. The key part of the prize is being signed on by an agent. Many publishers won’t even consider submissions that haven’t come via one.
Here are some pictures of Bella and Gracie peacefully reclining together. I still occasionally threaten them with pumpkin hats tho 😹


















They adore the log burner. We had someone in to replace the back plate and sweep the chimney yesterday. I contribute to a fun page on Facebook called Larry for Prime Minister, and complained on her behalf. A few of you might have seen it. 
“ Dear Larry and the Catinet. I really must register a ‘plaint. Firstly the sunshine door has gone. Where? Why? Intolerable! 
Then Hoodad made a nice warm place with what he calls a log burner but today even that has gone, and a strange man has come with a nasty noisy thing that’s poked up the burner. I’m forced to shelter under a blanket with Hoomum.  Gracie is hiding upstairs. You just can’t get the staff!”

Gracie snuggles  up on the bed as soon as I’m up. I love this photo of her, she’s sitting on my lap ignoring me telling her I can’t get up and cede the warm spot to her till she moves.😻

Believe it or not, it was sunny enough last Thursday for a walk by the canal, but very cold. 


And finally….,



Take care, stay safe and happy crafting! 
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 





14 comments:

  1. The Spock gag made me hoot! Hey, well done on getting your piece published, it’s good recognition and affirmation that you’re on the right lines. I hope that you have success with the other application too, for everything crossed for you! I like the stitch you’re using for Brian’s pullover, I haven’t heard of that one but it’s effective for a garment. I have hardly knitted anything either, crochet builds soooo much quicker! Hope the cats have forgiven you for the nasty wood burner repairs now, honestly what were you thinking??! Lolol!
    Hugs LLJ 5 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent that last photo to my husband - he's a huge Startrek fan, so will appreciate it! Well done for being shortlisted! You might win next time! Those pieces of glass jewellery look amazing - we're not far from Malvern - I can see the hills in the distance form the bottom of out garden - one day I might try their workshop! I watched their video about the process - fascinating! A bit ironic though that they're called Beach Art Glass - when they couldn't be further inland LOL - that's my only regret about living in the Midlands - no beaches around! Kitties are cute - it's funny how our lives revolve around them! Stay safe, Lynne! xx zsuzsa #14

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great funnies!
    I love how you call us hoomans - I think I used that in one of my stories on my blog page a few weeks ago. Well done with the fiction, I really must catch up on your stories.
    Love the ear rings. I bought my bff some glass jewellery for Christmas made by someone in Grange - we were in Arnside at the time. I prefer the first set of the two but both are lovely.
    Keep crocheting
    Hugs, Neet 3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you on your writing achievement. Love the funny.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous earrings and a really lovely colour way and stitch for your crochet. So clever to achieve so much with your writing - well done you! xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well done with the writing Lynne and good luck with your latest entry. Loving the colours of yarn in your hubby's jumper - hope you manage to get it finished in time. Meow to Bella and Gracie. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the writing! the Spock funny is great - I don't know where you find them. I love the earrings, especially the dark ones. Have a great week Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like yo've had a good week. congrats with the story and gorgeous earrings. Have a lovely creative woyww, Angela x10x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your story achievement! I'll be popping off to read it when I am done with my desk hop (I'm already a day late!) Love the stitch, never heard of that one, so thanks, and for me, very much the greey-bluey glass. Sems more in keeping with sea glass, right? As always the laughs at the end keep me smiling.
    Late again, but Happy WOYWW!
    Mary Anne (4)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, It’s only a matter of time neice you’re a published, winner of an author! How very encouraging Lynne, I hope it’s inspired you even more! The slip over looks lovEly, the colours are right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved both funnies. My cat didn't need catnip to cause a tree disaster. We've taken it down after just a few days - I couldn't take more of the stress. Congratulations on your success with the short story and I wish you even more success in the future. Your kitties are lovely and look so well behaved, unlike my little ninja warrior. Have a good week. Elizabeth x #16

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant news about your writing, being short listed, you must have been walking on air! gosh it would be marvellous to have an agent, wishing it all for you, that’s for sure. My preference by about one degree, is the greeny earrings, but it’s a very difficult choice! Like you, I love earrings. The slip over is coming on well, the colours are right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The herringbone stitch looks great, I was making a cardi with an unusual stitch some years ago, but it was turning out too small so I abandoned it! Love BOTH earrings just can't choose. I'm caught up with the Duolingo league tables this week, really want to advance but the top runners are WAY above me #1 has 7599 XP, I'm just hanging in there but have to resort to Welsh as I can do that much quicker than Hebrew. Billy dw i - BJ#8

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always love the funnies! and the pictures.. and well done you. I once was told I was in the top ten writers what's name they only wanted to read the first chapter and there was over 40 thousand enteries. You get phoned up and told, it might be you...then they said the stories they'd chosen were all so good they would be having five winners...and again...it might be you, but sadly no. never mind. Sorry soooo late, too much going on this week and you got put in spam again!Stay Safe, keep crafting. And writing!!Happy very late WOYWW!? ((Lyn))#13

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.