Tuesday 13 October 2020

WOYWW #593 gardens, vineyard scarves and stories

Hi all, welcome to my Wednesday workspace. This is part of our What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday, hosted by Julia on https://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/

I've been working on my vineyard scarf this week. Ordering online makes it tricky to get the right colours, so I've lots of wool.

I started off with an over-the-top version, but I think it was too much. I even put a snail on one leaf.


I've enjoyed making lots of autumn leaves. I've since started a slightly more restrained version.



It's hard to keep a straight edge but I'm working on it.

Story

Neil Gaiman related a wonderful story this week, good for anyone with confidence issues as well as for people on the autistic spectrum. I was so impressed I've 
copied it and linked it here:


Mystery object

Last week I asked you what my little carved owl was used for.


 When I was small, my father took over a warehouse. In the attic, he found a box of letters from a priest in a leper colony, and this little owl inkwell.
My mother wouldn't have the letters in the house; I don't know what happened to them. Still, I was allowed to keep the little owl. Its inkwell insert is missing, and I don't know how old it is. I remember the letters had stamps, so I'd guess 19th century.  No new mystery object this week, but I hope you enjoyed them.

Family

We're all improving. B's foot is better and the cats are mainly engaged in radiator-worshipping, Thea 's good morning greeting to me is always up close; she reminds me of the lionesses rubbing heads that we see on TV.

  

Holiday memory -Japanese gardens

Four years ago this week I was in Kanazawa on Japan's west coast. It is famed for the Kenro-kuen garden . I also went there for the ninja temple, full of secret panels, passages and traps (no photos allowed). 

Kanazawa has lots of smaller gardens, too.
This samurai garden was so peaceful I stayed for hours.

 

Anyway, that's me for this week. Many thanks for visiting; I'd love if you can leave a comment. Stay safe, hugs and happy WOYWW,
Lynne


 
 

18 comments:

  1. Wow, all those knitted leaves, you really are a magician with the needles! I cant remember which year, but desker Shoshi made and embellished a scarf too, it was quite a work of art, I do love seeing them emerge through your photos. Japan must have been a spectacular holiday, that massive culture change and all the exploring, what fab memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia. Shoshi sent me a link to her scarf; it was wonderful. I can’t comment on it as I’m blocked for “duplicate posts” but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - the mask story is such a wonderful thing. I think in his own way Bowie was a magician and that mask would certainly transform anyone who believed in it. Thanks for sharing it. I love your little owl too! xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab post this week , gorgeous pics and great colours on your knitting. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful blog post - the scarf is beautiful and you can't have too many leaves in my opinion! The story of the magic mask was so beautiful and I found it very moving too - what an amazing man Bowie was - thank you for sharing it.
    Hope you have a great week,
    Diana x #10

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynne, beautiful shots from Japan, on our bucket list of places to visit. Love the colours for the scarf, fabulous. For some reason I can't comment on Shoshi either, must remember to mention it in my post next week so she knows. Had it happen once before, but somehow she fixed it, now it's broke again! Stay safe, Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #7 X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynne. It has taken me all morning to pick up my click and collect order, so I am really late (for me) starting to work down the list - sorry! What lovely photos of japan - that was some holiday! A real treat. Your scarf with all those leaves is going to be beautiful - well done. I love the selection of colours for those leaves.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #4

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Lynne, so this week your WHOLE blog is ENVY for me.....wool envy, that AMAZING ink well envy and Japan envy!!! I would totally love to add those yummy wool balls to my stash! Love them all and your scarf is coming along nicely, I think!!! My dip pens would LOVE to dip into that inkwell!! I am a huge OWL lover plus my dip pens are my fave medium, so that envy is over the top! And then Japan!!! It's on my bucket list!! I think like you, I would probably stay in that garden for hours! So beautiful!! I hope you have a fabulous rest of the week! Blessings, Felicia #22

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good afternoon! Love those wool colours and you are so clever to make the leaves - stunning!! I love the little inkwell and the history behind it, what a thing to treasure. I enjoyed the story about the mask, although t made me a little sad. It is lovely to think of such kindness in the world. Japan!! My son went last year and loved it. The only place truly on my 'bucket list'. I like to travel but there is nowhere else I am desperate to go. f we ever get through this mess I may just make it happen. Happy Wednesday, stay well, stay safe, Cindy #21

    ReplyDelete
  10. The knitted scarf is amazing - the leaves are stunning. What a cute little inkwell. Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe. With love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#12)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your scarf is like a work of art Lynne, makes me wish I could knit, stunning!! Loved the story regarding the owl inkwell i'm so glad you were able to keep it. Happy WoywW, stay safe & keep well. Radiators are favourite spots for our fur babies Tracey #11

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must be very difficult judging the colours online, but your scarf is a work of art. Glad to hear everyone is well and I would much rather have a cat rubbing my face than a lion! Happy WOYWW Angela #29

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a difference a few years makes Lynne. Love the photos of your visit to Japan. It is on my bucket list. Meow to the kitties and happy WOYWW. Thanks for visiting. Sarah #3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, that ink-owl is awesome! And I do like your Autumn-scarf, that's a lot of work you put in there! Thanks for your visit to my blog yesterday, your comment made me laugh: yes, I'm still alive and yes, I will watch myself not 'getting killed by being archived' *lol*. In the Netherlands there were stricter rules announced in order to get the covid-number down but I am allowed to stay working at location - pfew! That's a release! Stay healthy and happy! Love from Holland. Marit #2

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lynne, Mm, Japan is one place in Asia, I’d like to go to, because its clean, and has decent loos! 😉 and magnificent gardens. Four years ago, good you could go then, it’s a time we didn’t realise how blessed we were.
    Love be your scarf and your cats are funny. Like cats if they’re not chasing native animals..
    Thanks for sharing, and God bless, Shaz in Oz.x #6

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I enjoyed the story about the magic mask ~ So simple and yet so effective. I love the owl inkwell that's really neat. I can't imagine knitting, so I'm loving your autumn scarf. Enjoy your kitties and stay warm ~ Love, Karen#26

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your vineyard scarf is coming on well, Lynne - I love the 3-D grapes! The autumn leaves are gorgeous too. Beautiful photos of Japan. I hope Dino is now fully recovered. We haven't got our heating on yet, but I have no doubt that the cat hammock will be used again once we do. I hadn't realised the owl was as small as that - definitely too small to be a string box!

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi #17

    ReplyDelete
  18. The yarns look good and the scarf is coming along really well. Pleased to see the kitties doing well. The Japanese garden is beautiful too. I'm late this week as I was out in the garden all day yesterday and so on catch up today. Wishing you a very happy belated woyww, Angela x19x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.