Monday 21 September 2020

WOYWW #590: Dragons and patterns

Hi all, here we are again on What’s on your workdesk Wednesday, inviting each other to take a peek at what we’re up to. If you’d like to join in, head over to The Stamping Ground, where Julia kindly hosts our weekly blog. 

My “desk” is on my shelves next to my chair, so not much changes there. 




Thanks for all the blogger tips last week. I've one for you - move the text by cutting / pasting instead of trying to move the photo. Much less frustrating.


Anyway, I’ll start with a question for you:

Mystery item 

Do you know what this is? Now I’ll have none of that Granny Ogg “Ooh er missus” smut from you LLJ 😀, but if anyone can tell me what it is, (name & function) I’ll draw the winner's name out of the hat and send you a mask adapter, just for fun. 

Answer next week.


 

Pattern
Now, I have to confess I’ve fallen in love with a new pattern. It’s a crochet along announced on Facebook, and I am totally smitten. It’s in Sheepjes Whirl, in a very hard to find shade, so I’ve searched all over, and finally had to order it from Denmark. In general, I'll happily use different colours, but the one in the pattern is called Blackberry Mint Chip, and I HAVE to have it. It swirls so beautifully from purple to teal and olive. The CAL doesn’t start till Friday, but I’m itching to start. The idea of a CAL is a bit frustrating, as the designer will release the pattern piecemeal. But just look! I'm hoping to make a cardigan from it.
I'm still doing my Persian Tiles, and am now on the diamonds that fit between the octagons.


Family

A busy week for us. Sadly, my uncle died recently, after a long illness, and I “attended” his funeral in Stoke by video link. It broke my heart to tell my aunt that I wouldn’t be there for her (they’ve been married for nearly 60 years), but Covid cases are about 8 times the rate in Stoke that they are down here, and I'm no less vulnerable now than when I was officially  shielding. She said she'd hate for me to come and then catch it so, video link it was. One-way, unfortunately, they couldn’t see us giving them a virtual hug, so we did that by phone after. The link is on a timer so we missed the end, as it cut off, but never mind. 

My better half has now been diagnosed with a severe cataract and so I'm driving him to hospital. I've been signed off though - no more laser treatment, yay!

Dino doesn't seem much better., but he's eating more. He has some more antibiotics and a decongestant powder from the vets so we'll see how that goes. He is terrified of going to the vets, hyperventilates and shakes, poor lamb, so I don't want to add that to his troubles unless he gets worse. This is Dino sleeping diagonally across the bed. No chance for a nap, Lynne! Brian keeps trying to teach Dino Welsh - he claims Dino is already half way there, given his catarrh....."Say, "Aberdaugleddau" Dino!"
Dino and Thea send a miaow to all your cats, or at the most, "Bore da cath fawr!! 


Dragons


Yes, I've really been seeing them this week! You don't expect to encounter dragons on the country road outside the village, but there you go. It's enormous!

This one is papier maché and was made by our village's Ladies' Craft Circle. I must find out about them now I've retired. Brian wonders if they’d  do a red one for the 6 nations rugby.  
i
I'm  not sure how well this video will work, but here's one of them flying around: a dragonfly that has visited our garden twice this week - such a blessing! My photo attempts were useless, they fly so fast.

Rant
I have been furious this week with the attitude of people like the musician, Van  Morrison, whose music I have loved for many years. He has released a song about how lockdowns are an infringement of his civil liberties. At hospital appointments I have also seen more people half -wearing masks, so I had a proper rant to myself in a sort of poem/curse. Not everyone wants to see such things, so the link is here. It's called Fair warning

Walk
One of the things I promised myself to do once I retired, was to go for walks along Prince's Parade, with my friend, Chris.
Prince's Parade is a gorgeous area, around the Royal Military canal, which was built during the Napoleonic wars. Our horrible council is planning to build all along it so it's really under threat. It's been to court and we lost the judicial review, so I'm not sure what happens next. If anyone has any great crested newts to spare....:)
It's a lovely walk anyway. Often there are swans but today there were canoeists.



Have a happy and safe week, everyone, and thanks for visiting. I'd love it if you have time to leave a comment, thanks






















21 comments:

  1. Hi Lynne. I love your poem!! Yes, it's really difficult when people just ignore what is necessary. None of us like the restrictions - but just at the moment, they are necessary, aren't they. I have found myself so often in the past six months saying thank you to my Father God that my hubby died before all this. He had severe bronchiectasis - a breathing issue - and would never have survived this virus. Instead he simply went to sleep peacefully, having spent a lovely time with his family that day, and didn't wake up.
    Anyway... your poor cat. Trust he finds better health soon - and I just love the fact that your hubby is endeavouring to teach him Welsh!!
    Great fun dragons. I'm sure you could even make a red one...
    Great dragonfly. I, too, have had one in the garden this week. They are beautiful and make SO much noise when flying around!
    Your crochet is really coming on - enjoy the next challenge. CAL?? I don't think I know that abbreviation - sorry... No idea, either of the name or function of that... whatever it is :-)
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, I have bronchiectasis and asthma so I wouldn’t withstand it.
      A CAL is a crochet along. It seems this one will be atypical as the designer will release the two parts on Friday & it’s just videos & borders later. Some you get 1 square per week. Take care, hugs, Lynne

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynne, so agree with you- what is so difficult about wearing a mask? They wear a seatbelt, wear a crash helmet, and they used to complain about that if you recall. I was told by a security guard that our local shopping centre had Police & Community support in last week, issuing fines to those not wearing masks- funny how all their arguments about civil liberties etc went out the window when it cost them money! I'd been in the centre the week before, and hardly anyone was wearing a mask, this weekend, almost everyone was!I do like the colours in the crochet, quite beautiful. Stay safe, have a lovely week, hugs, Shaz #4 X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne, it's so sad to hear people who just don't want to obey to rules, there are many selfish people around. As a carer I know how important it is to keep myself & others around me as safe as I possible can... but on a brighter note your crochet is marvellous, I love it all. The wooden stick looks like it's one of those prodders to poke out sewn corners or push stuffing into tricky areas. Take care & stay super safe & thanks for sharing WoywW Tracey #5

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, I completely agree - even my 13 year old is fantastic about wearing masks so why don't others who are older and should know better. Loving both dragons and the photos from your walk. Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe. With love and God Bless, Caro xxx (#11)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crochet is stunning,Lynne. I am looking forward to making my Persian Tiles throw once I've finished other projects. The swirly pattern is most intriguing - I love how the pattern goes across several different squares. I think your wooden thing is a spurtle, used for stirring porridge. Sorry to hear that Dino is still poorly. I am sure he will be a whizz at Welsh! Our two are so good going to the vet. Ruby is a bit more nervous about everything than Lily who's Little Miss Laid Back, but they don't complain. I'm glad your eye treatment is finished, and I wish your hubby well for his cataract extraction.

    Thank you for your visit - so glad you like my tiny carpets. I've never been to Morocco unfortunately but would love to see all the carpets, as well as the stunning architecture. It really is a feast for the eyes! Congratulations on your anniversary of meeting, too, and of course I don't mind you "copying" me - I don't look at it like that, but more as sharing a good idea which I hope others will take up! I'd love to hear your story. Our gate post is looking great again now my hubby and the neighbours together have mended it. The gate still isn't rehung but hopefully he'll get a new bracket before long, and also a new pot for our poor geraniums!

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #12

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your crochet squares and the colour of the yarn is gorgeous. I liked your poem and sadly I think many of us are feeling frustrated at the behaviour of others, and like you I was very disappointed and surprised at Van Morrison.
    I hope you have a good week,
    Diana x #22

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know me so well, lolol!! I adore those new crochet tiles, the patterns are just fantastic and the colours are gorgeous. I hope the special colour from Denmark is worth the wait - I have visions of you coming trebles in a Danish accent :-D. Lovely pics from your walks, it really is a beautiful area. Give Dino a tickle from me, hope he continues to eat more and improve. All the menfolk say hello back at you!!
    Hugs LLJ 8 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynne, I LOVE the crochet patterns!!! I knit but have never given crochet a go. My mother and grandmother both used to crochet, but I only wanted to knit. Crochet always seemed to look so hard to me. Plus there is something cathartic to me about knitting! Your finished piece will be beautiful!! I also love that paper dragon! Would love to be a part of their group.....they seem life fun!!! Blessings, Felicia #25

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful crochet ~I love the colors and patterns. I have no idea what you mystery item is ~ something for a spinning wheel? I'll wait to find out. Your photos are beautiful and your rant is justified. Blessings for your hubby, kitty and on the week ahead. Love, Karen #28

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have noooooo idea what the erm, tool is. It could very easily cause me to behave like a child in guessing though.....
    I saw that crochet-a-long on Facebook and really admired it, was very tempted but talked myself out of it by looking around at a couple of things I’m already half way through, you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your crochet looks fabulous. love the colours. No idea about the mystery item is... looks like it belongs in Harry Potter. I agree about people who won't abide by the rules. infringement of liberties indeed. Makes me so cross. don't get me started on the conspiracy theorists either! So sorry you had to attend the funeral by video link. Take care and stay safe. Helen #3

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stick thing looks like a porridge Spurtle to me better known better in Scotland though I do have one and it's used to stir the porridge and soups. Loving the crochet and the dragon. Best not to start me off about masks and people complaining about civil liberties. You wont believe this but we were in the supermarket some weeks ago when a lady removed her mask to sneeze which she did all over some shelves of packet food, I just could not believe it. Wishing you a happy and creative woyww, Angela x15x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought it mighta a drop spindle, but I have not seen one without the circular bit, then I thought it might be a lace bobbin. Your walking area looks lovely.. your crochet squares are unusual and I like them very much. Angela #23

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you were not able to attend your uncle's funeral in person Lynne. I live in Stoke and currently do not know anyone personally who has Covid, but we are being really careful and I know that there are some pockets. That crochet looks glorious, it would make a fabulous cardigan. Amazing dragon too. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous dragon made be the Ladies Craft Circle!
    I am loving all your crocheted squares!
    Don't get me started on the Covidiots...
    I used to have one of those 'sticks' - I thought it was for stirring porridge. I always called it a stick but I believe the Scottish name is spurtle. Mine had a thistle carved at the top.
    Although it could be something else entirely!
    Happy Woyww! Susan #14

    ReplyDelete
  16. Van Morisson... did he really? Ohmy, I always loved his music but the man... good gosh! Susan called it nice "Covidiots"!!! I do love your crochet pattern squares, it's been a few years since I crocheted, I may start something (another blanket? A scraf?) this Fall. Thanks for your visit to my blog yesterday! Have a great week/weekend, stay safe! love from the Netherlands! Marit #1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Crocheting the pattern is lovely, What a lovely walk and hope they do not build on it. I hope you win and they cannot build on it,

    Take care, Lilian B #10

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dino is so adorable! Wow your crochet squares are so pretty. Cannot wait to see the finished piece. Ellie #30

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well... I just had to see that dragon in a much bigger picture so I clicked on it and WOW, I was blown away. After a couple of minutes and several gasps I clicked at the side to go back but nothing happened, the other side - nothing, then the picture itself and it just got bigger. Well, had an even better look ... then 'escape' or rather the 'esc'key but nothing. In the end I went out and came back in again. But I did enjoy the bigger photo of the dragon - amazing, what talented ladies!
    Talking talent I love your crochet - this is going to be something special and I love the sound of that new stuff you are getting, hope we see it in progress and then the final outing when it is complete.
    Oh dear, thankfully I have not heard that song, but I am so angry with those people who come up with these silly stories and excuses not to wear masks etc that it is probably as well for my blood pressure. Not that I ever suffer with BP, but this song might just tip me - saw your words on FB and I did like them, very clever use of that picture behind too.
    Sorry to hear you are having to go back to the eye clinic, not for yourself but for hubby. I am sure your car will find its own way shortly. Just wish him luck from me and I do hope all goes well and smoothly.
    Have a good week - we are home again so not enjoying the sunshine although we did have some this afternoon.
    Hugs, Neet 7 xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks all, the answer is in this week’s blog tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.