Wednesday 7 October 2020

WOYWW #592 :wood and vines





Here we are again, having a sneak peek at each other's workspaces on a Wednesday, courtesy of Julia on 
the Stamping ground.

 I mentioned last week that I love different woods. I’ve now created a little space on my work shelves for some. It’s a space that gives me quiet pleasure  

At the back is a jewellery roll made for me by my best friend LLJ, and a needle case my local friend Liz made for me. Front left is a bowl with a few treasures in it: a first pruning of the vineyard in Beaujolais,   2 Furls crochet hooks (pretty, but..or all fur coat and no knickers as we’d say at home 🤣) and some beads. More details below, after the craft section.

I’ve had to do some sorting this week. My bobbins are great for multiple colour changes but the rotation snatches up any loose thread and needs sorting before it gets into the mess below. A bit of untangling required.

                                       


I struggled this week with that Gloria crochet project I fell in love with, but the yarn and pattern are so fiddly I really wasn't enjoying it. So I've admitted defeat and have put the yarn, which I worked so hard to source, up for sale. 😿. I don't ever like giving up, but what's the point? I simply wasn't enjoying it.



So I am continuing with my Persian tiles (triangles now, I need 12) and I have a new project: 


The vineyard scarf. this is just a proof of concept piece so far.  

I saw a vine blanket pattern, with nice bobbles for the grapes, but the leaves were apple rather than grape vine, and it was very neat. I'm going to create a wilder 3d scarf, with green and autumn leaves, twiddles for the little curly tendrils, and it will all be fun to create. The background colour will be variegated stone, but these photos give an idea.



it’s 44 years since my better half discovered grape picking in Beaujolais, and 41 years since I first went there with him. 


The family there have become our family, and the granddaughter of our first boss is now our goddaughter.
We don't pick grapes any more (it is HARD work, especially when you party till 03:00 and get up 4 hours later to start work again!) but we keep in touch. This year is a very good year for Beaujolais- it was a very hot summer. 
 
 This is my favourite photo of the vineyards, taken by our friend Jean-Pierre Commarmont . 




Here is our god-daughter, Alexia, in the vineyard this year.










Mystery object
Well, last week's mystery was a bit easier, it was indeed a bone folder. 6 of you guessed it correctly, and I picked Sarah Brennan’s name out of my hat!
Sarah, your mask adapter prize is in the post. Well done all! 

This week is a little different. the picture below is clearly of a carved owl, but what was it used for?



Family
Well, we've all been a bit laid up this week, apart from Thea, pictured here warming up after being out in the rain. 

 
We finally gritted our teeth and took Dino to the vets. They confirmed his lungs are ok, did a swab and it's a feline bacterial infection so he has antibiotics that hopefully will cure it. He didn't speak to us for about 3 days after, and hid under the settee whenever we came into the room. I must talk to the vets about feline PTSD but I fear it's incurable. You can't exactly do CBT with a cat, can you?
He's forgiven us now and is back to practicing hibernation with Thea.







On the right of my wood shelf s a little covered bowl which my father brought back from WW2. It’s one of my most treasured possessions. It has a carving of the shrine of Miyajima, in Japan, on the lid. Miyajima was an almost mythical place for me when I was young, my father venerated it so much. He taught me to use chopsticks, to count to 5 in Japanese and always talked of the beauty of Miyajima. 

It is a mystery how he could love Japan so much. Most of his contemporaries hated Japan for its atrocities. My father, as a Marine, accompanied many of the POWs home . Sadly he died in 1979 before I realised the oddness of it. When I went to Japan 4 years ago, this week, I got off the ferry in Miyajima and burst into tears. 😭 I wanted to tell him I’d finally made it.






My better half has had gout and I pulled a tendon in my knee so we haven't been out for walks. 

Both are minor irritations, and responding to treatment, so soon over. My treatment was CBD ointment and sitting with my feet up crocheting and watching the French open tennis, so no hardship! There are some excellent youngsters making their mark this year, so it's very interesting.

Anyway, have  great week, and stay safe! 
I really appreciate your visit and a comment would be lovely
many thanks
hugs
Lynne


17 comments:

  1. Lovely to see the details of your treasures today! I completely get why you decided to stop the crochet, there's just no point if you're not enjoying it. It's a bit like books for me, I never used to give up on a novel but I do now - life's too short to continue doing something that's not bringing joy! Hope you sell the yarn ok and meanwhile, the vineyard scarf idea is looking great, youv'e cracked the vine leaves. Glad Dino is a bit better, hope you and B improve too!
    HUgs LLJ 11 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne. Well done stopping the manic crochet - it's good to know when to give up. Hope it sells quickly and easily. I like the area on your shelf with all your wooden pieces - a great place just for sitting and gazing!
    Hmmm... that owl. Well, it's obviously in two halves so was made to come apart. There is a small hole below its left eye - so maybe that was for a spoon... maybe it was originally a marmalade or jam container - or even sugar. No idea otherwise.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Owl was either a Tea Caddy or sugar jar. Loving all the gorgeous crochet work, so pretty. It sounds like you've all be in the wars including the cat so hope you're all feeling better soon. Have a lovely week and a very happy and safe woyww, Angela x16x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynne, and Agreeing with Margaret- there is no point in continuing something started just because it's started. If there's no joy from it, it isn't worth it. Laughing at the 'fur coat' comment, not heard that for years! I'm going to guess the owl was to hold a ball of wool, and feed out via the little hole? Japan is such a beautiful country, one on our bucket list. I know many pows had terrible memories, and were treated what we would view as atrociously, maybe your father had come to understand the mind set of the Japanese, which explains why they treated them so badly. It's odd, but one of my favourite books that I re read on occasion, is Shogun, and I remember being about half way through the book the first time, and realising I had been given an insight into Japanese culture, and mindset, and that they didn't treat pows badly out of deliberate cruelty, simply that in their culture there was no such thing as surrendering to an enemy- the code of honour, or Bushido that ruled their lives simply did not allow for that, so anyone who allowed themselves to be captured no longer had any personal honour, so were not treated as human. I *think* I'm right in saying that when the Japanese surrendered at the end of WW2, they actually had to invent a word for surrender, as one didn't exist in the language. Such a complex people. Stay safe, Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #5 X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shaz, thanks for your kind comments. They reminded me that my father described most of the Japanese as gentlemen, so I think he distinguished the officers(Samurai-type) from the rest. He also saw an officer on the run as they were arresting them for war crimes trials commit hari-kiri rather than be captured, which ties in with what you were saying about personal honour.

    Perhaps I should have provided a scale for my owl. He stands about 3inchea tall. Feel free to have another guess, all!

    Hugs Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are able to get back out for walks soon Lynne. Thanks so much for the mask adapter. It was waiting for me when I got in from work this evening. I love the colours! The crocheting is coming on beautifully and the scarf is so pretty! Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynne, what a terrible frustration, especially when you had your heart set on it and spent so much time making it happen. No defeats there, you lived and learned! I think we all have projects at some point that end up like that for us. There had to be something come out of that, if not for now, for later and you can look back on it and reflect! LOL Ohhh, the vineyard! I'm pea green with envy! Would love to experience that just one....a younger once.....but nevertheless, just once! LOL Beautiful picture and goddaughter!! Your Dad story was so touching and I had tears right along with you! Made me miss my recently passed father and I know you miss yours! Blessings for the rest of your week! Felicia #27

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wooden display ( I have a hand-turned bowl of fruit which is so tactile - or it would be if I could currently get to it - and I can see it needs a good dusting too!) The owl is beautiful - if he is that small, perhaps he is a needle holder or some such. have a great week. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynne, I wondered if the owl was used to hold a ball of wool or string. Very glad your pissy cat is on the mend and I hope you will be soon too x Angela #25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pissy cat - typo??🤣🤣
      Thanks Angela, happy WOYWW!

      Delete
  10. Lynne, I always enjoy reading your posts so much! They are full of interest and some really quirky fascinating stuff, too. I was so moved by the story of your dad and Japan. I saw a programme a while back about Miyajima and thought it was amazing, how the tide rises and falls around the gate. It's a very special and beautiful place! Your little box is a treasure indeed. I am very fond of any Oriental art and have several bits and pieces. Maybe I'll do a post about them sometime, and my other treasures too. I have some very special things that I inherited from my dad and they are arranged on top of my bookcase in my office. My paternal grandmother's family were involved in rubber planting in Malaya (as it then was), and two of her brothers were captured by the Japanese during WW2. My great-uncle Alex survived and rebuilt his fortune but his brother disappeared - he was sent to the Railway where he was one of the many thousands who perished. So sad. The Japanese are a complex people - it's hard to understand from our Western point of view how such an ancient, civilised people could behave in such a way, but their code of honour is very different, looking on those who surrender as beneath contempt - they would rather kill themselves than surrender. They have such a rich culture, and produce some of the most beautiful art in the world.

    I see you have got a wooden bowl for holding knitting/crochet yarn - I have often admired those, with the curled slot for the wool. Very attractive!

    I have learnt recently that sometimes it is OK to admit defeat and not feel guilty about not completing things. Some things work for you, and some do not - it's as simple as that, and there's no point losing sleep over it! Recently I thought I would make lots of tofu now I've got my soya milk maker, but it turned out to be much too much of a faff. We only have it occasionally and you can buy it very easily. So my tofu press lies idle in the cupboard! I don't bother to roast my own peppers either - I buy them in a jar. I make almost everything else from scratch so I don't feel guilty about not doing the things that are more trouble than they are worth!

    Your Persian Tiles are coming on a treat. I shan't be starting mine for a while as I've still got other things that I must finish first. It can wait for now.

    I reckon your mystery object this week is a string box. I see there is a small hole at the side, which is where the string would come out. It's a fun object, anyway!

    Poor old Dino. I hope he feels better soon, and that he is easier to give pills to than our kitties! You can't do anything at all with Ruby, and our old Beatrice was absolutely terrible with pills!! They are always as good as gold at the vet's and take them without any fuss, but my goodness, at home, it's wrapping up in a towel, and a 2-man job haha!!

    Your vineyard inspired scarf is going to be absolutely gorgeous! I don't know whether you saw the scarf I made with lots of felt balls and 3-D flowers, leaves and butterflies? You can see it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/12780076@N05/albums/72157716295649411

    Sorry to hear you are both laid up and hope the legs/feet soon recover!

    Thank you for your visit - glad you like the finished carpet. It's funny how the early stages of the background look as if they've ruined it, till you fill it all in!

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #18

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much to read on your post!
    Love the wooden bowls!
    I kept some yarn for years intending to make stool covers with it. But however many times i started one off I was never happy - and it hurt my hands - I sold it!
    Sorry to hear you are bothe unwell - get better soon!
    Happy WOYWW! Susan #7

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an interesting blog post - I love your beautiful vineyard scarf, and the autumn leaves are gorgeous. Your little owl is sweet, he reminds me of a string holder I used to have, the ball sitting inside and a length of string could be pulled through a small hole - it kept it all tidy and untangled!
    Japan is such an interesting country, I would love to visit -I especially love the design and tranquility of their gardens.
    Hope you have a good week,
    Diana x #14

    ReplyDelete
  13. The vineyard scarf is an amazing idea, super excited to see it finished. The Persian tiles are lovely. You are so creative, I wouldn't know where to start with those fiddly designs.
    Have a great day
    Ellie#14

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your crocheting and wish I could do just more than simple things, Suck a lovely keep sake from your Father,

    Thanks for your visit to my blog,

    Lilian B # 9


    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your comment about my 3-D scarf, Lynne - so glad you liked it! It's quite long, and makes me feel a bit like the Tom Baker version of Doctor Who when I wear it! It was a great fun project to make.

    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.