Wednesday 18 November 2020

WOYWW 598 Vineyard scarf and Thea

Hi all, I can’t believe we’ll soon be at the 600th What’s on Your Workdesk Wednesday hosted by Julia at The Stamping Ground

I’m still working on the everlasting vineyard scarf. I reckon I have about a foot to go. 


 I haven’t sewn the leaves down yet; I catch them in the crochet as I go. Do you think they should be left free at the edges? 
I work on it all rolled up now. 


I’m really pleased with how the bunches of grapes have worked out. I did them in Aran yarn, Sirdar Jewelspun shade Nordic Noir, in 7-stitch bobbles so they stand out. I wasn’t sure of all the colours at first but even the light blue looks like grapes with a bloom on them from the wild yeasts. 

The leaves have been in a variety of colours, picked from Hayfield spirit and King Cole variegated shades. I adapted them from a maple leaf pattern 



Winding through the balls to find the bit of colour I want has left quite a few odd balls of subfusc colours. Not the sort for a repeat version, apart from a few maroons. 




Thank you all, for your kind words and good wishes last week. 
Thea has had lots of cuddles since. She’s also disturbed by the workers on the scaffolding outside as we’re having our gables attended to. 

She remembered and found a catnip fish she’s fond of this week and had several mad half hours playing with it before collapsing for another nap. It's just a £4 Yeooow Catnip fish but she loves it.

Too much excitement, Lynne!


I’m so thankful we still have her. Dino’s death has devastated us. We have to pick up his ashes this week. I’ve had my nose stuck in a book ever since. This is me:


Mind Games for distraction

Do you know how many words you can make from the word “beastly”? I had to have a root canal filling this week. My dentist is great, works hard to save teeth that other dentists would extract, but it means he’s v careful and uses a horrible rubber dam over my mouth when he’s clearing out the root. I got to 45 words made from “beastly” before I lost count. I then did world capitals alphabetically, and did them all except E and X. (I thought it was me but there isn't one, unless you count Edinburgh.) At least these mind games kept me away from thinking about the dentistry. It’s only my dentist who says I have a petite mouth 🤣
B’s 2nd cataract op has been confirmed for next Wednesday, so fingers crossed nothing stops it going ahead. The first one seems to have gone well. 

Things happen in threes - I hope

My old Peugeot has died and is too expensive to pass an MOT. We don’t need 2 cars now we’re retired, but it served me well. And, bizarrely, the inner pane on the double-glazing in the back bedroom has cracked and is crazed all over, but with no impact. So with Dino, hopefully that’s our 3 bad events. The money for scrapping the car will at least almost pay for the window. 
In my youth they never paid you at the scrap yard - the rising price of metal I suppose. Old man McGuinness in Stoke used to charge you £6 for a part if you could hold it in one hand or £12 if it took two. Happy days! 

And finally....
This one’s true even now I’m retired:

And this just made me giggle:

I can imagine my Mum enjoying that game!
Thanks for your visit; I’d love you to say add a comment if you can, thanks. 
Take care, all, stay safe and happy WOYWW
hugs
Lynne

14 comments:

  1. Oh Lynne, I know exactly how you feel over Dino. It's a horrible time, the first days and weeks after they have gone. We've been through this too many times, and more tragically when it's untimely - losing 2 beloved kitties on the country lane outside our old house. It was the first straight bit of road for miles, and people used to put their foot down. Here in the town, with our enclosed back garden, it is much safer for our babies. I am sure Thea needs lots of reassuring cuddles at the moment (beneficial for you too!) and I'm glad she's found an old toy to comfort her a little.

    Your vineyard scarf is quite a project! It's getting really long now. The colours are fabulous, and I love the bunches of grapes. I recommend leaving the leaves loose - more interesting texture!

    Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the kitty videos (happy memories - I uploaded those videos 12 years ago and probably made them some time before that) - such funny kitties! I've never heard of smoked almonds - do they taste good? Also I'm glad you like tiny carpet #6. I'm really keen to get the project finished now.

    I'm glad your cataracts were satisfactory and I hope your hubby's will be, too. Varifocals are definitely the way to go. You can't be doing with taking them off and putting them on all the time. Mum used to have a pair in every room and was still always losing them! Also, much less wear and tear on the frames if you just keep them on all day. I'm thrilled with my new ones - definitely an improvement. I just wish they didn't cost so much!!!

    Very much looking forward to the Zoom session and meeting you!

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #19

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lynne now I'm chuckling...thanks for the giggle.
    I really love your scarf...think I wouldn't sew the leaves down. I love them.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cartoon! Loving the scarf and all its additions! looks lovely and warm. Hope the op goes well...try spelling thing backwards next time! Or naming animals...CaT then TigeR then RinO then OtteR ...Then RaT... Stay Safe. Have a great week! Happy WOYWW!? ((Lyn)) #12

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s great about B’s op next week, I’ve got everything crossed that it all goes ahead ok. You have had some rough times to cope with recently, it’s not surprising that it’s got you down...reading, crochet and a purring cat on your lap seems to be the perfect way to weather things xx. We got £175 when G’s Picasso got taken away by the scrap man, it would still have been sitting there is we hadn’t made the decision though it was sad to see it go, it’s seen us through a lot! I like the scarf very much and am torn about whether the leaves etc should be kept free at the edges - on one hand, I think it looks really lovely like that but on the other, would they catch and get torn off?
    Julia asked on a post last week if we could make a large badge or sign that can be seen on the Zoom call to identify yourself easily - your blog name preferably as that’s what the deskers will know you as!
    Hugs LLJ 7 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gather your mum is a bit of a character then!
    Was sorry to hear about Dino the other week - I have my cats and dogs ashes in boxes, wonder what will happen to them when I go? Hopefully they'll tuck in somewhere hidden.
    What a subject - to the scarf .. that is massive now and looking lovely. I think I would leave the leaves free at the edges.
    Hugs, Neet 10 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neet, oh she was. She died last year. She would have been helpless with laughter, and would have made lots of jokes about the difficulty of seeing the target 🤣. Looking forward to seeing you all the crop, hugs Lynne

      Delete
  6. It's so sad when one of our much loved pets leave us but as they say "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" and that goes for pets too. The scarf is looking wonderful. Sending woyww hugs, Angela x14x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad about Dino, I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. The scarf is beautiful and the funny at the end made me laugh. Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe. With love & God Bless. Caro xxx (#13)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the scarf is really going to be fantastic! Are you going to save finishing it for the crop? or maybe you can model the finished article for us! take care, stay safe, and hopefully no more bad things ! Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, reading can be a great escape... I was feeling all literary and then I saw your joke and laughed my socks off! Loved it!
    Take care,
    Chrissie #6

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alas McGuiness is no more Lynne but I remember taking my first car there to be scrapped. Loving the scarf. Your Thea reminds me so much of our late beloved Mizzy who I helped bury in the parent's back garden after she died. The daffodils always grew really well in that spot. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well of course you have to count Edinburgh, it’s the capital of Scotland! I don’t know how you can concentrate enough at the dentist. I am so busy telling myself to relax and not managing it. Ah well! Have a great week Angela #33

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ergh...I’ve had two teeth extracted in the last few weeks..the damage to my facial nerve means that I can’t feel anything going wrong on that side and both were past saving....the dentist spent quite some time drilling and accessing the second root before realising that it had split, so out that came too. I feel for you, and am super impressed that you can play word games in your head whilst they’re rummaging in your mouth. Do you know, I was once told that my mouth was rather small, on hearing which, my husband was ultra quick to point out that it was very efficient! I think the scarf is a work of art Lynn, I would leave leaf tips unseen, but not large areas because they just end up being permanently curled up and lumpy.
    I think you’re doing well, and a book is exactly the sort of therapy I’d turn to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that scarf!
    Hope your sad/bad things have stopped at the three...
    Sorry I am late again...
    Happy WOYWW!
    Susan Renshaw #23
    Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.