Tuesday, 25 August 2026

WOYWW 899 Othello, stretchier yarn and watercolour

Hi all, WOYWW 899, who’d have thought it? I’m so glad we’re still going, thanks to Julia, Jan and now Sarah, who groups us all via Sarah’s Craftshed
My desk right now is rather flowery:

I’m trying to paint an outsize daffodil for our exhibition, and am letting it dry before adding a bit more colour to the petals.

Several of our art class had lunch today to meet up and to discuss our exhibition which will be from mid-September in Saltwood, Folkestone. 
We also visited the Hythe Art Society’s Summer Show, where one of our group. Frances, has paintings. She did a beautiful landscape with the hills crinkled with clingfilm, and a lovely hare. 

I even won an embroidery book in the tombola!


My elbow is improving and I’ve done a bit of knitting. I don’t want stripes as such, because the upper chest on the right and the lower on the left has horizontal ribs. I was trying to add the occasional fine line of contrasting colour. 
Unfortunately, carrying the yarn along the back meant it had no stretch. 

I tried doing it in alternate stitches which works better. 

On the back it looks like that Latvian braid I did for our hats Jan!


We had no internet for a few days but now it’s back I’ve ordered a couple more colours of the yarn to add in. 
On Saturday evening we went to see Othello at St Augustine’s abbey in Canterbury. We have some new Ozzigear camping chairs, but were struggling to put them together, providing much entertainment to those around us. The cast were going round selling programmes so Othello’s lieutenant Cassio, helped us put our chairs up! 
The play was being performed by the Lord Chamberlain’s men, who do Shakespeare as it was performed at the time, ie with men acting women’s parts. I was dubious about this, as a feminist, and also after seeing David Mitchell’s comedy Upstart Crow, but they were excellent. Here’s Desdemona on the right. 

And finally…


Happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts xx

7 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Your daffodil is looking good! Hope the exhibition is a success, if it’s got that beautiful hare in then it undoubtedly will be 🥰. Nice to hear your elbow is better so you can knit, the reverse of it does look like our hats! I love mine and wear it all the time in the colder months, the style suits me (beanies really don’t!)
The robot Olympics funny made me hoot!
Hugs LLJ 2 xx

BJ said...

WOW your daffodil is brilliant, love your friend's hare and landscape too, clingfilm crinkling is jolly effective. Yay an embroidery book - hope there are new stitches to share with us in there. Hugs Bj#12

BJ said...

Yes Lynne the tree officer agreed to the felling some years ago for a previous previous planning application which was refused. I thought as the plans had had various reiterations since then it would have been revisited but sadly no. Bj#12

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is late for me today as I’m still trying to sort out the new laptop. Look forward to seeing the finished daffodil, it's looking good. I love using cling film to create interesting backgrounds to card and paper. The hare is gorgeous too. Wishing you a very happy woyww, hugs Angela x10x

My name is Cindy said...

Hi Lynne hope your exhibition goes well - your colleague has done a particularly lovely hare. interesting that group is still 'traditional' with men playing the female roles. Did it bother you at all? Loved the funnies! Have a good week, love n hugs Cindyxx #6

Anonymous said...

I love how the daffodil it coming along. I’m pleased to hear your elbow has improved.
Hugs,
Annie x #5

Helen said...

quick comment , wrist needs pinning, should be quite soon , happy woyww helen