Tuesday 26 March 2024

WOYWW 773 Painting a Kingfisher

Hi all,
Here's my desk for this week, painting the background for my kingfisher watercolour, trying out colours and techniques for painting feathers. I've used lots of salt into the wet paint to make it a watery background. I've some extra colours: Ultramarine turquoise, phthalo turquoise and iridescent electric blue. 


Looking at the feathers on its head, I saw the darker lines of feathers have lighter areas between so I masked these, painted the darker lines then rubbed off the masking fluid once it dried, and filled in with a lighter turquoise. It’s a bit messy, but it’s a possibility. I’ll see what Claire says on Thursday about feathers.  I haven’t tried here to match the overall colours of the feathers, just thinking about techniques. 
It seems to work just painting little Vs in the chest feathers. 

Bella's been helping me; she works hard, as you can see.
Here, she’s had her fur combed, as neatly as the gravel in a Japanese rock garden. 

Last Wednesday was, for once, a glorious spring day and we went to visit Romney Marsh Wools to buy refills of their lovely lanolin soap. They're lambing at present: So cute!

And finally ,,,


A lovely landscape...


And for this Saturday:

Take care and happy WOYWW
hugs
Lynnecrafts xx



13 comments:

  1. I so love Kingfishers and look forward to seeing it completed. Great collection of funnies too. Good old Bella, she knows the comfy place for sure. Have a great woyww. Sending hugs, Angela x?x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know I have never seen a kingfisher in real life. I would love to see one. Such beautiful colours. God luck with the painting of feathers.
    Those little lambs are so cute, what a lovely day out that must have been - and lovely soap at the end of it all.
    Hugs, Neet 1 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that's quite a challenge - I've never painted feathers and wouldn't know where to start but you certainly captured the patterns in your little sketches. Iridescent electric blue paint makes me want to rush out and buy it - I can imagine how gorgeous that colour is!
    Hope you have a great week,
    Diana xx #18

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kingfisher is coming on great. Love the funnies . Happy woyww Helen #10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the kingfisher finished. I love seeing how you work out how to paint it.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #3

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing so well with those colours of the Kingfisher! I can't wait to see the finished painting! The funnies are, as usual very funny, but I loved the Stonehenge on the best! Happy Easter! Lindart #14

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I think you are well on your way with the feathers, judging by your practice sketches! I look forward to seeing your completed project!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, WOYWW #16

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lynne - that kingfisher is coming along well. Can't wait to see it done! Had to chuckle at the funnies - some of the old ones are the best but I'm a sucker for a good waterfall and that one was well done by whoever photoshopped it!

    Have a great week
    Morti
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little painting-tests look marvelous, you captured the feathers on the head really well I think! The stonehenge photo made me puzzle untill I got it: we have to change the clock here too this weekend. I hope to remember that on Saturday... I wish you a lovely Easter-weekend! Hug from Holland, Marit #2

    ReplyDelete
  10. My word Lynne, you do invest learning and time into whatever you do don't you. The kingfisher choice to paint is very brave imo, it's amazing to see your steps and showing your workings (as my maths teacher used to chant!) The background looks great, love the texture created by the salt, there so much to it. Love to see Bella so exhausted from her works, and doesn't her coat look gorgeous when freshly 'raked'! Hope we see some sunshine this weekend, have a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed with your paint tests. I wouldn't even attempt it. The kingfisher is a gorgeous subject. Look forward to seeing the finished piece. Bella is gorgeous and sooooo helpful too. Have a great week. Elizabeth #6

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't think I've ever seen a kingfisher in real life (though people post pics of them all the time on our local canal - perhaps I should get out more!!). Beautiful birds and I like your background. Bella looks very smart - I could onlly ever get 3 strokes om my old battleaxe before she struck! Cute lambs, Spring must be here but it's hard to believe with all this rain! Happy Easter!! Cindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look forward to seeing the completed kingfisher!
    There are different varieties here in Australia - always good to see!
    Susan #5. Happy WOYWW!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.