Tuesday 17 August 2021

WOYWW 637 Squares and not going out

Hi all, here we are again for this week’s blog hop, hosted by Julia at the Stamping Ground.  (Click on the WOYWW logo on the right to find out more.)
I carried on for a while with the Delft pattern but it is too fussy for what I want. 


I may use a couple of them but it would be too busy overall. I’m currently working on varieties of blue and white squares instead. 
 It had occurred to me when I made my cat stitch shawl last winter that the 3 rectangle shape could be sewn up, and 2 extra rectangles made into loose sleeves to make a cardigan. 


We’ll see. Sewing up isn’t my favourite occupation. Maybe, if I make panels as I go, it will work. 

Rant (skip to Going out if you wish 😏)
This has been a bad week for women.  The way the Afghans have just been abandoned instead of the West transitioning to a peacekeeping force has left Afghan women without any recourse. According to the Guardian, one of the reasons the Taliban was able to over-run the country so fast was the minuscule budget the govt had, compared with the vast profits the Taliban is reaping from opium. What price reducing overseas aid?
The terrible Plymouth shootings have made me aware of the awful “incel”movement. That is just as much terrorism against women as that of the Taliban. The idea that they blame us for their “involuntary celibacy”, that they have some “right” to sex that we’re denying them, just makes my blood boil. That this pathetic excuse being used for violence and murder is just despicable. 🤬🤬🤬
Rant over. 

Not going out
I asked my GP for a blood test to check how my immunity to infection has recovered after my recent illness and steroid medication. It’s come back “satisfactory” Yay! However, although I was planning to go to the Epic Iran exhibition at the V&A on Wednesday, covid cases seem to be rising again and I’ve got cold feet. 
In a Guardian article by doctors today, they were saying they wouldn’t go to a museum: Guardian article
 I really wanted to see the Iran exhibition, it’s been sold out for ages, but I’d feel so stupid catching it just for an exhibition. 
The cats have been going out a bit though. Bella loves the garden. She still thinks that her human servants opening doors is the proper way in and out 😸 rather than cat flaps. I need to guide her through a few times with little bowls of food. Gracie goes out briefly and then often panics and runs back in. If she prefers mainly to be a house cat, that’s fine. 


Neet’s comment on cat flap training last week reminds me of a time we came home from some posh do we’re B was wearing a DJ and bowtie. We’d locked ourselves out and B got us in by taking out the door panel containing the cat flap. It was if he went through the cat flap. Our then cat Kelly’s face was a picture 🙀

Gracie has developed a liking for kefir and will happily lick out my kefir glass, with a clever way of getting to the bottom of the glass. 
They both must have taken cuteness master classes. 


Bella makes enjoying having her chin tickled look positively decadent. 

And finally…

Take care, and keep on crafting!
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 

13 comments:

  1. I so agree with you about Afghanistan and the incel movement Lynne. I don't undersatnd why a social media trawl isn't part of the application for a shotgun licence as well. Bella and Gracie are certainly masters of cuteness. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on your rant too. I hope you find a way to use your delft squares, but agree about the sewing up, that was part of my knitting (back in the day when I did any) I would hand over to my Mum... can't do that now even if I still knitted! Anyhow, have a good week and if you do get to the V&A enjoy - but I get why you are having cold feet. Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn’t even heard of Incel before this week and was horrified to discover what it was all about and the plight of the women in Afghanistan makes me weep. It’s hard to know what to do or say but I’m determined to pressure as and when I can. I like those delft squares but agree that the one you did may not fit quite so well. The idea of putting sleeves into the scarf pattern would make a very nice kimono style pattern indeed, great idea! And those cats couldn’t get much cuter if they tried - I bet you’re happy that Gracie is still uncertain about the garden, keep her safe.
    Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like no matter how far we come, there is still so far to go. So many sad news stories, it feels like my heart breaks every day. I'm with you on the sewing up. Ugh. Hate it so much, but the alternative is piles of loose items that don't get worn or used. Bah! Also agree the Delft squares are far too busy and not in a good way, while the simple blue and white ones look fab.

    PS, I heard a great Podcast ages ago on the origins of the Incel thing and it was interesting to see how it evolved into something never intended https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/76h59o

    Happy on-time WOYWW.
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your funnies. Plus a reminder of the DJ show you mentioned last week to me LOL.
    Don't get me going on Afghanistan please, it's terrible what is happening.
    Love the pale blue in the crocheting, and can see why the other is not right but wondered if a paler blue would work with that pattern?
    I would be pleased to have a cat that didn't want to go outdoors to be honest, I worry too much that they will get run over when they go out.
    Have a good week with your furry ones.
    Hugs, Neet 11 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lynne, I so agree with you in your rant. It is just so hard to know what to do to help other than pray and petition people. Love your funnies. Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe, With love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#17)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Was thinking about those poor women yesterday and the rest of the people there. The only solution would have been to give them free passage out of there, I am sure nearby countries could have taken some of them especially if the American and British governments helped financially. Love the funnies this week. Happy WOYWW Angela #4

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was listening to the news reports this morning and there was a lady who used to be a judge in Afghanistan, she came over here in 2008 as she was being threatened by the Taliban then. She did say that they have adjusted the Islamic beliefs to suit themselves. She said that they think only men are important and that women should not be allowed to judge men for anything, theft, murder, rape. The poor thing was in tears for a lot of the discussion. They are like little boys who have to get their own way except that when they don't get it they kill people. Sorry about that but it's just terrible. Makes you realise how lucky we are. Take care and have a lovely woyww, Angela x14x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the squares and sure theuy will make something really nice and hope you get to make a cardigan on the

    Take care and stay safe Lilian B #`6

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think everyone has said what I would have said...

    I hate sewing up too... but I love your funnies! Especailly as I once was a Tuppa lady - and the sheep dancing made me giggle!
    Happy WOYWW!
    Stay safe and keep well!
    Susan #15
    Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally with you in your rant! Hail hail!!!! And I understand you not going to the exhibition, in the Netherlands rules got looser and almost nobody keeps distance or thinks about it anymore, it's pretty scary and Covid numbers will rise for sure I'm afraid! (I stay at home as much as possible!)Thanks for visiting my desk this morning and you are absolutely right: that's not the Who on my spread! I added something to my journal page to point that out and published a rectification on my blog just now.. so THANKS for telling me! Have a great day/weekend. Love from the Netherlands. Marit #5

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynne the WHOLE ordeal is something that I don't like thinking about and am so aware how very blessed I am to have been born in another part of the country. Freedom is NOT something to take lightly and I am EXTREMELY BLESSED! I love your squares those are my colors for sure! I am fortunate enough to have an afghan that my sister made for me! The Delft patters is beautiful, but I can totally get what you are saying. Simple is my thing! LOLOL Love your furry babies, soooo cute! Have a great weekend and sorry for the late get around!! Blessings Felicia #26

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the blue and white crochet, Lynne. I can see that the Delft pattern isn't suitable for a cardigan, but I do hope you carry on with it and make a throw because it's utterly fabulous! Your kitties are certainly cute! Gorgeous pictures of them. They are funny with the cat flap, aren't they! Your funnies are hilarious this week, especially the tupperware coffin lol! Brilliant. I still use my set of "square rounds" (which always made me laugh) that I bought about 40 years ago!

    Thank you for your visit and for your commiserations over my poor hubby last week. It was a very worrying time. Fortunately he is fine again, with the odd twinge, but I hope that continuing with our really healthy diet and the addition of a decent amount of water will keep him well. I am glad you are going to try the raised cat bowls for Bella. So far, Ruby hasn't been sick since we got them, so we are hoping they are the answer. They have taken to them really well, which is good.

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #23

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.