Tuesday, 21 July 2026

WOYWW 894 Embroidery and the Wife of Bath

Hi all, is it time again for our Wednesday blog circle? The week passes so quickly. I’m joining in via Sarah’s Craftshed.  I was inspired this week by our BJ to start a living line embroidery. 

You may have seen on Facebook that I felt a pressure straight away to make something useful - to use it to illustrate one of my Freddy the Dolphin stories, where a crab steals a bracelet and Freddy gets an octopus to tickle the crab to recover it. This embroidery’s supposed to be a zen activity, not purposeful, and I realised my mistake the following day when I was too tired to do such a task.
I might embroider an octopus at some point but I’ll keep it light. I’ve bought a pair of tapestry sticks to roll it on to, once it’s long enough. 
Since the weather is cooler, I’ve done a bit more knitting of a cannula sleeve. Bella likes me doing this as her ‘cushion’ doesn’t move much. She sends you all purrs. 
We had a good evening on Sunday, as the Rude Mechanicals came to do their latest play, The Wife, on the field at the centre of our village. It was cooler so by the late evening we were in coats and blankets, but it was great fun. It’s based on Chaucer’s the Wife of Bath but is full of jokes and songs. 
At school I wish we’d done the Canterbury tales but we did his Troilus and Cressida instead and spent the whole time translating it line by line. It killed Chaucer for me, whereas it could have been so much fun. We could’ve debated what women want, as the Wife of Bath asks, although sovereignty might have been too revolutionary for early 1970s at my girls’ grammar school. We did human biology until it came to reproduction, when we switched to rabbits. In our 6th form the headmistress was still refusing to have sex education taught, despite the fact that one of my class had left, pregnant. I hope they’ve improved now!

And finally…


Happy WOYWW
hugs
Lynnecrafts xx

No comments: