You may have seen on Facebook that I felt a pressure straight away to make something useful - to use it to illustrate one of my Freddy the Dolphin stories, where a crab steals a bracelet and Freddy gets an octopus to tickle the crab to recover it. This embroidery’s supposed to be a zen activity, not purposeful, and I realised my mistake the following day when I was too tired to do such a task.
I might embroider an octopus at some point but I’ll keep it light. I’ve bought a pair of tapestry sticks to roll it on to, once it’s long enough.
Since the weather is cooler, I’ve done a bit more knitting of a cannula sleeve. Bella likes me doing this as her ‘cushion’ doesn’t move much. She sends you all purrs.
We had a good evening on Sunday, as the Rude Mechanicals came to do their latest play, The Wife, on the field at the centre of our village. It was cooler so by the late evening we were in coats and blankets, but it was great fun. It’s based on Chaucer’s the Wife of Bath but is full of jokes and songs.
At school I wish we’d done the Canterbury tales but we did his Troilus and Cressida instead and spent the whole time translating it line by line. It killed Chaucer for me, whereas it could have been so much fun. We could’ve debated what women want, as the Wife of Bath asks, although sovereignty might have been too revolutionary for early 1970s at my girls’ grammar school. We did human biology until it came to reproduction, when we switched to rabbits. In our 6th form the headmistress was still refusing to have sex education taught, despite the fact that one of my class had left, pregnant. I hope they’ve improved now!
Happy WOYWW
hugs
Lynnecrafts xx






13 comments:
Your stitching is looking great, it must be hard to not weave in a storyline line when you are a natural story teller! It’s a bit like me and abstract, I do try but it never really comes off, I try and neaten it up lol! What a lovely evening you had seeing The Wife of Bath, I do love a bit of outdoor theatre. The temps are finally cooling down here, hooray, this is much more bearable. Have you got a hosepipe ban? North Carms and Ceredigion has got one and it might spread to us soon.
Hugs LLJ 3 xx
Oh Lynn I had such a chuckle at your post today. I was at a girls grammar school too and did human biology....reproduction was also of the rabbit because we had a male Biology teacher. I'm sure things have changed now.
Hugs,
Annie x #6
I chuckled at your school tale too . I don't remember our sex education lessons at all .. loving your stitching . Helen #1
Your embroidery piece is beautiful, and love the idea that you're using it to illustrate your story. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression. Happy WOYWW!
I have always gone to mixed schools and taught at them too. We taught pupils sex education from 16 onwards in their Generasl Studies lessons and this will make you smile, my husband had to show the pupils a French Cap in one of his lessons and he had it attached to his fingers when it popped off and flew across the classroom, I bet that was a great lesson Hee! Hee! Have a great week, hugs Angela x10x
Yay your living line has begun, and yes if you get bogged down with it it isn't serving the original purpose. I don't do mine every day though and sometimes wonder where exactly it is going? Love your sea scape and you could just do lots of horizontal straight stitches round the characters now before you are inspired to do the next character...I did exactly that last night behind what's on my page today. I did do one of Chaucer's Canterbury tales. The Nun's Priests Tale but all I can recall is, "full longue were his legges and full lean eh like a staff there was no calf eseen" Make of that what you will but it totally described my current boyfriend's legs - LOL. Your school biology lessons made me smile too - oh the stories.....Love the Weft drive and the #10 cat's eye view. Thanks for the smiles. Hugs Bj#7
Oh meant to add - (although can't see my original comment yet????) I have written to the council planning enforcement section with all the issues so far after trying to deal with Shanly directly met only with lip service and the site manager who was oblivious to the construction management plans. Trying to ignore it but failing miserably - thanks for the suggestion. Hugs BJ#7
love the stitching, especially the crab, a great way to weave it through the circle of storytelling. Kyla
Hello Lynne, BJs living line embroidery is inspiring. I love your story about the crab being tickled by the octopus. Bella looks so comfy while you're knitting away. Silver expects me to remain perfectly still for lengthy periods too. It's a cat thing! Have a great week. Elizabeth x #14
Your funnies are brilliant this week- especially the rehoming- not another one!! I love a bit of outdoor theatre - we usually go to Shrewsbury Castle to see a bit of Shakespeare - very atmospheric. Keep going with the embroidery - it looks like a fun way to create a little treasure.x x Jo 🌈
Happy weekend after WOYWW!
LOL! How times have changed - or at least we hope so. Sounds like you had a really fun and productive week, but yeah, not when doing slow stitch - BJs comment is good on that point! Need to look in to the Rude Mechanicals - they sound a hoot!
Mary Anne (5)
Look forward to seeing how your embroidery progresses Lynne. The theatre on the green sounds like it was great fun. Meow to Bella. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah
Loved the shark joke. The embroidery looks really good and I look forward to seeing it progress!
Happy WOYWW! Susan #9
Post a Comment