Tuesday 9 May 2023

WOYWW 727 American distractions

Hi all, 
I’ve started to send out ATCs so if you want to share, please could you email me your address? (Lmcollis@icloud(dot).com

I’ve been distracted by a new American pattern this week, which creates a chevron pattern throw. It’s a $0.99 pattern from Mary Maxim. I love the wool they’re using for its colour contrasts but I’m not paying £10 for 100g of acrylic. If you’re interested in the pattern, send me an email at lmcollis@ iCloud (dot) com and I’ll send you more info. 

I consulted my favourite Yarnsub.com, which lets you enter any yarn brand and tells you the equivalents. 

I’ve ordered a ball of this King Cole Curiosity yarn to see if I like it. Different suppliers show very different combinations of shades for it so I’ll wait and see. 
These two are the same shade, from different suppliers. I guess it’s a lottery which you get. If you know of any other yarn in blue, teal, sand and white dk that would work, could you let me know, please? Thanks.  
I’ve had a play with some leftover yarn and the technique isn’t too fiddly. 

I couldn’t use that though, the ends would drive me bonkers. 
I’m just a sucker for any crochet that makes
 structural patterns.  
Repeat, Lynne, you’re just looking at this, you will finish your Frida cardi first!!

I've also re-done the map that sits at the front of my novel, A Sense for Silver, which goes off for typesetting this week. I had converted the original powerpoint into a picture but couldn't find the original - so I've done it again. It’s what Brian calls ‘hard colouring in’ but I enjoy drawing it by mouse. 
It's called Ellyn's Paris.





On Monday we went to the American gardens nearby in Scotswood. 
It’s an amazing garden: about 150 years ago, the valley was blocked by a badger dam, with the result that the soil is now about 15 feet deep in peat. 
They planted sequoias amongst the rhododendrons, and these redwoods are believed to be the origin of the name.

Brian trying to lean like the redwood. 


. Down on a muddy stream side path, they also have gunnera, which look like rhubarb gone mad.




Gracie and Bella send purrs to you all. 

And finally…


Ain't that the truth!

I’m off to have a peek at all your desks via Julia at the Stamping Ground
Take care and happy WOYWW 
Hugs
Lynnecrafts xxx


14 comments:

  1. That is a spectacular garden indeed Lynne. Typesetting already - your novel is getting closer to publication. Love that new crochet pattern. Meow to the kitties. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #5

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden looks lovely though i'm surprised you have time to go with all that knitting going on but we all need a rest from crafting sometimes. Loving the funnies too. Wishing you a very happy woyww, Angela x10x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that herringbone pattern very much and can see why it appeals to your pattern loving brain! But £10 for 100g acrylic?? Good grief, I can see why you’re looking for an equivalent. I never thought about those cakes meaning no ends to sew in - that’s a win for sure, hope you find something that fits the bill. So glad you and Brian had a good day at the gardens, they look beautiful!
    Hugs LLJ 12 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The knitting pattern is a stunner, I hope you find the yarn you want. Those two photos are so very different it's hard to believe they are the same product. The gardens are beautiful - it looks like you had a lovely day out.
    Hope you have a great week,
    Diana xx #16

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour combo on your choice of yarn. I do find photo of colours a bit misleading sometimes too. Love your funnies this time. x x Jo ps have emailed my address

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colour combo on your choice of yarn. I do find photo of colours a bit misleading sometimes too. Love your funnies this time. x x Jo ps have emailed my address

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous new knitting ! Love the gardens, their gunnera looks bigger than kew although it grows so fast ! Happy woyww Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm playing catch up with my favourite blogs now Louie has gone home. It's been a full on morning and I still have 2 customers to come yet [and their sewing to do of course].
    What an amazing graden.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #8

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela. Crafting With Jack10 May 2023 at 08:06

    The Internet is being so annoying today! That chevron throw looks beautiful. I really had to think about the Iron Age funny 🤣. Happy WOYWW Angela - number less

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to knit and crochet, but my fingers freeze up quickly, so I no longer do either. Your latest throw chevron pattern is beautiful. I hope you get yarn that is inexpensive, but that is a bit oxymoronic in this day and age.

    Beautiful gardens. Such lovely flowers, too. Happy WOYWW from # 1.

    BTW, I am NOT in physio. I don't even have a doctor. I DO have a vet, so you can tell where my priorities lie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely gardens, how interesting that day must have been. And the weather looks good too.
    Loving the chevron pattern, with the right shades of teal type colours this should look spectacular but don't forget Frieda is waiting. Must be hard to finish one large project (not as easy as with paper crafting) before starting another that excites you.
    Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated, really is.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rather rueful laughing over that ‘new project’ pic, oops! I’m totally with you on letting in ends, and a multi yarn will win me over almost every time! Fascinating that an acrylic an be selling at £10 for 100g, blimey…and then of course the ‘comparison’ site is a real find, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. {sigh} Late again.
    Ah Mary Maxim, I know it well. Lovely pattern and I too am I big fan of Yarn Sub - mostly they do a really good job if you read the comments about the differences. Love the garden pictures - lots of that happening round the desks. We went to Kindgston Lacey and had a fine & sunny day. Hope we get more!

    Determined to be on time this week for the anniversary!! Happy WOYWW
    Mary Anne (6)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful garden!
    Interested by that pattern too...
    Sorry I am so late visiting and commenting this week.
    Happy WOYWW!
    Susan #3

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.