Tuesday 21 December 2021

WOYWW 655 Crochet, chocolate and good wishes

Hi all, here we are in the last Wednesday bloghop before Christmas. 
I’d like to start by wishing you all, my dear friends, all the best for Christmas and for a happy and healthy new year for you and all your family. 

On the crafting front, I’ve finished the back of Brian’s slipover. 


I’ve started the rib for the front, which takes forever as I have to frog it if I get the stitch count wrong, but I really like the effect. Much more  structural than knitting ribbing. I hope it will all be finished for his birthday at the end of Jan. 
You know how sometimes bought chocolates don’t quite have the flavour you’d like?
The other thing I’ve made this week is a ridiculously easy chocolate pavé with pistachios and ginger. It is delicious and not too rich. I added salt flakes but was too cautious as I used salted butter. Another time I’d put in more, chop the nuts and ginger more finely, which would make it easier to cut up as well. It makes an enormous amount of chocolate. Below is maybe a quarter of it! It goes a lot further than the 2 bars of dark chocolate needed. 
The recipe is here: Chocolate pavé recipe
I added less sugar than it says, about 20g. I’d also reduce the cream and butter next time. We’ll do it again but do a half quantity, maybe with almonds and chopped apricot? I used Green and Blacks 70% chocolate. 

I received a mask I bought today, a Frida Kahlo one I bought off Etsy. I’m ridiculously pleased with it!


Gracie and Bella send all your cats purrs for Crispmouse. They’re hoping for Dreamies and Lick-e-lix. (They always do!)

Gracie is quite set in her ways. This is a photo of her telling me it’s time I went to bed so she can snuggle up next to me. 
  


Bella seems very keen on watching the penguins on BBC’s Spy in the Snow. Maybe she’s making sure they can’t come and steal her treats!

She’s not keen on the polar bears though! 

And finally
I’ve a big choice of cartoons this week. I’ll start with this one as my physiotherapist gives me acupuncture. I’ve an osteoporosis fracture in a vertebra, apparently, and the consultant has booked me in for an MRI in January. Joy😏. Why MRI scanners have to sound like someone beating the hell out of the dustbin you’re in I don’t know. Oh well. 





Happy Solstice all. Remember the days start getting lighter from now on! Stay safe, and enjoy any crafting you get time for
Hugs
Lynnecrafts x


14 comments:

  1. Oh a lovely new recipe to try! Nice one. And yippee on the crochet progress. Love your mask too - my fave is off Redbubble, I think, and says "Schrodinger's Smile" one it, cause until you lift the mask, the smile is both there and not there! Still makes me laugh - as do your weekly funnies. Oh I do miss the Sunday paper with the colour comics in them. Oh well....
    A most Merry and Happy Christmas to you and yours! Stay safe and well this holiday season.
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slipover is looking great, love the colour scheme and I agree that the rib is very pleasing! Oooh yum, that chocolate pave sounds gorgeous, I daren’t make that, too wicked! The pic of Bella watching the penguins made me hoot, I have a similar one of Sid and Arthur trying to chase downhill skiers on the telly (back at Warrenford!), they were always amazed that the skiers didn’t continue out of the side of the TV!
    I hope you have a peaceful and happy festive season, hugs to you both.
    LLJ 5 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds like a great recipe Lynne I will try it out when I finslly get back to pre lockdown 1 weight. Great mask - I can see why you like it so much. Meow to the kitties. Merry Christmas, stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have a go at the recipe but not until the chocolate is all eaten, we have bought a ridiculous amount. I too love your mask - very arty. Not a clue what 'frog' is in the making of the gift, do enlighten some time.
    Love the kittie pictures, what adorable fur babies they are,
    Christmas Hugs - Neet 3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh the Frida Kahlo mask is fabulous - I can see why you picked it - I might have to have a browse on Etsy myself later! The slipover is looking good and I love the photo of Gracie - she is a gorgeous looking little girl. Glad to know Bella knows her limitations when it comes to guarding her sweets - polar bears aren't to be messed with!
    I hope you aren't in too much discomfort with your vertebrae and I hope you have a lovely and peaceful Christmas, stay safe and well.
    Diana xx #12

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the slipover and the recipe sounds great . Have a very happy Christmas xx Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm coming round to yours Lol! Home made chocolate yummy! yummy! Loving the mask too and the kitties are so sweet. Wishing you nd the kitties a very happy woyww Christmas. Hugs Angela x11x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true, the days start getting lighter now, but we're only just entering winter! I always find that a bit of a contradiction! Bella is hilarious watching the penguin but she's "not keen on polar bears" bless! They all have their own little personalities. The other day I told Oreo off for going in and out, in and out constantly expecting me to jump every time he wants the door opened (a cat flap is out of the question - he would just bring in mice!) - and he grumbled to himself - it sounded so human - I swear my teenage son makes the same noise - maybe they've learned it from each other! Funny cartoons - you do keep us entertained! Wishing you and your family a lovely Christmas together! xx zsuzsa #21

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that look too. Silver has perfected the look at bedtime - her bedtime, of course. She also watched TV. She loves David Attenborough films, Winter, Spring and Summer Watch and anything with birds in it. Your facemask is fabulous, as was the lady herself. Your crochet is coming along nicely. When I've found my mojo I'll pick up my hook again. I enjoyed your funnies - the last one has more than a ring of truth about it. Have a great week and Merry Christmas to you and yours. Elizabeth x #22

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lawks, that pave wouldn’t last long around here, a very dangerous make! I agree about the rib effect for the slipcover, it’s great and somehow looks more ‘anchoring’ than a knitted rib! I love the new mask, great fabric, so many things with FK’s image on them, I have to remind myself why I don’t need them! That wonderful character on the eggnog cartoon used to be on some stamps…of course, when I first saw them I was 25 years younger and didn’t bother to snap them up…or the lovely, tart words that went with them. Folly.
    Wish you both and those kitty cats a lovely peaceful Christmas and a year that gradually allows you to open up and get about a bit more, your health concerns have been such a worry, who knew that we’d ever have to be risk assessing our time out of the house. Madness. Love to you.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you get the slipover done for the birthday, you seem to be getting along with it nicely. Totally understand the delight with the mask, it's cool. Have a Happy Christmas, hugs BJ#13

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's early when I read your post but you just made me drool over that Chocolate! Love how the slipover starts to look, good luck finishing it before the end of january, you can do it! I wish you and all your loved ones Merry Christmas and a wonderful, healthy and creative New Year! Love from Holland, Marit #14

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum your recipe sounds delicious. I might have to give it a go - but maybe after Christmas! Fab funnies this week - I love the Snoopy hug cartoon. All the very best for Christmas and New Year. xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lynne, just found your message as for some reason it went into the Spam, don't know why. The offer of chocolate is very kind but I think I might have already had too much as hubby bought me some from Hotel Chocolate. Sorry for responding so late and hope you enjoyed it on my behalf. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.