Tuesday 26 July 2022

WOYWW 686: Tizzy, silk and campaigning

Hi all, 
Back again for our Wednesday bloghop via The Stamping ground. Why not have a look and join in?
Here's my completed big Tizzy square. Now I'm on smaller ones for the fronts and sleeves.
As I write this, I'm surrounded by bags and boxes of silk samples, which were given to me for free, by Hayley, who's in our Community Action Group. She used to be a fabric designer but has left that industry - she says it's too 'Throwaway', and was looking for someone to take all these samples to save them going to the tip. One friend runs a quilting group, and has taken a big bag, a box is on its way to Jan and another to Annie. A bag is going to a new school teacher who wanted fabric to decorate her school room. There were tigers and gymnasts, space and cars, tropics and fruits that will be great for them.

And there's still lots left! The only stipulation is that it's not used commercially. If you'd like some, let me know! They're all about the size of the blue one below, mixed patterns, silk and crepe de chine, all jumbled up. Email me at Lmcollis@iclouddotcom with your address. I'll charge you postage and apart from that you can make a donation to our Community Action Group. [See below].




I don't sew much but I've saved a bit for myself. I might even make Bella and Gracie silk cushions. πŸ˜€The reason I've not done much commenting this week, is that I've been part of a group fighting the closure for SIX WEEKS of the road through our village. 

The developer had done no assessment of the risks to the community, presented no analysis of alternative option. Ambulances and fire engines were going to have to use a single track road with passing places and the old and handicapped were faced with a mile walk uphill to the bus.
Kent Messenger reported the story here: How will ambulances get through? On Sunday night, I really thought we'd lost. They put the closure signs up on Monday morning, but then had a meeting and took them down at 1pm. They then put up this sign.
Our statement was as follows
We collected over a 1000 signatures for our petition in 4 days, sent legal letters, wrote to councillors and our MP. We put the case that the closure should not go ahead without alternatives being considered and the risks to villagers being properly assessed and managed.
We are delighted that Pentland Homes have had to listen to us.

We've won a battle, not the war but we're now in a better position to fight them. I just love this banner for our Community Action Group - Lyminge and surrounding areas. Hayley photoshopped it for us.



Bella and Gracie send purrs to you all. They want to know why I have this black thing on my lap, I'm tapping my fingers on, instead of them, and why I've taken no new photos of them.

And finally....


Take care and happy crafting,
hugs
Lynnecrafts x






12 comments:

  1. the tizzy square looks absolutely gorgeous! hope you find homes for all the silk samples. Well done on the - partial - victory with the road closure. Happy WOYWW Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for winning the first part of the battle - it was such a stupid thing to do and sounds as if the contractors hadn’t understood the safety/legal side of it at all. Love the Tizzy crochet, it works so well in those colours and I’m looking forward to my box of fabric fabulousness!! Thank you so much xx
    Hugs LLJ 5 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Lynne, wonderful community action and really marvellous that you caused Pentlandite to actually take notice, it really is falling that these companies think they can do what’s easiest for them at the expense of everyone else; very refreshing to know that there is fight in the community! The silks are a thing of beauty aren’t they, what a colour fest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW.. Congratulations with the Battle - I do hope you win at the end, because that is not a good thing. I would love to have some blueish fabric but I have to wait till winter before I buy something.because of my organizing.
    Thank you so much for sharing
    Have a great week !!
    Hugs
    Mariane #12

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain regarding the road closures. We have a similar thing happening here, a big religious event (circa 20 - 40,000 people descending on us from Saturday). They have commandeered all the local green space for car parking and its already been chaos for the last week. They are going to be here for a week then I assume there will be at least another week to tidy up. Locals are FUMING. Fait accompli, no notice from this rubbish council, (or the organisation responsible) no local consultation. Won't be able to move here for people and traffic. Rant over!! Love the Tizzy it just looks so clever. Happy WOYWW, love n hugs Cindyxx #15

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got a better result than we did years ago when we wanted the bollards retaining at the bottom of our drive. Sadly we were few in number and the others were three times as large. Even backing from ambulance and police/fire did not sway the local council. It became a rat run for a while but is not too bad now - but burglaries have increased in the area.
    Looking forward to seeing your knitting finished and you modelling for us.
    Love the silk but unfortunately I no longer sew, good luck with it and the cushions.
    Hugs, Neet 3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the win Lynne and quite right too - what a ridiculous thing to be attempted with no alternatives and risk assessment being done. Beautiful silk pieces but I wouldn't find a good use for them. Love the tizzy square. Meow to the kitties. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #17

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Lynne, I find thst unbelievable that they really intended to do that with the road... pray it stays with its nice clear sign ROAD OPEN!
    Nice pieces of silk... mmm wonder if they'd make a silk scarf size.. guess they're the wrong shape and I'd need to do a rolled edging too. A thought if lived closer but dont so will admire from afar. God bless the war not just the battle. πŸ™❤
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I managed to get the first funny - after a few seconds, but the second one had me puzzled. They I got it 🀣🀣
    Great news on the road closure or should I say road reopening. Happy WOYWW. Angela #16

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Tizzy square is so cool! Glad you were able to keep your road and hope you can keep it! Absolutely amazing that they were going to remove your ability to use it! Have a great week! Carol N #23

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate road closures, they are doing that in our village, 19 weeks!!! (but at least its not a main road like yours, but buses still can't get through, it got shortened to 16 weeks with traffic lights and, get this... four way traffic lights when two of the roads were short cul de sacs. Nearly every field round us is up for building tons of houses, we've all said no way...so they go quiet for a while...then start putting in the drains and repairing footpaths and a bridge near us took over nine months to repair. All you see is loads of cones and no workers! love the funnies, have a great week! Happy WOYWW ((Lyn)) #25

    ReplyDelete
  12. Minimal comments as I wrenched my back :(
    so I am late AGAIN…
    Loving tizzy so far and cannot wait to see her done!

    Happy WOYWW
    Mary Anne (4)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.