Tuesday 3 October 2023

WOYWW 748 Chevrons, Sycamore Gap, Tunisian…

Hi all, I was sickened and appalled by the chopping down of the 300 year old tree at Sycamore Gap on Hadrian’s wall this week. Among the many images that were published, I loved this one from MarionMorrison.co.uk. I emailed her to ask to buy a card of it but she's no doubt run off her feet at the mo'.

I wrote a short story about another tree that was crucial to me, as a child. 
It’s here: https://lynnemcollis.blogspot.com/2023/09/sycamore-gap.html. I’ve opened the site up to public view. 
I’ll be reading it at our Write By the Sea meeting on Thursday. 

Here’s my sketch of Sycamore Gap.


My chevron blanket is nearly done. I’ve two more strips to join on. 


This week’s drawing lesson will be on autumn vegetables. I have a couple of pumpkins and a parsnip. I was lucky to get the pumpkins- someone (a teacher from another art class?) was busy buying them all. 😀

While we were working on our pebbles and shells, our tutor showed us images from an amazing book on graphite art:
Of course, I loved this one,

plus this one: 

I’m also planning my next crochet, a Tunisian baby blanket for a recent arrival in the family. This honeycomb stitch is my favourite so far. 
I asked for tips from a Tunisian crochet group on Facebook on stopping my piece curling up and they suggested:
- Using a larger hook
- Starting with a couple of rows of plain crochet first.
We’ll see. 
I have to say that despite some health issues, I’m buzzing my creativity at the mo’, between the crochet, the writing and the drawing. 
Jan sweetly sent me some beautiful flowers this week. Aren’t they gorgeous? Thanks so much, Jan. 

Bella and Gracie send purrs to you all. 


And finally…
Jan, I know you're thinking this one's just like me ;-)

If only…
Even I might consider one if it did!

Take care and happy WOYWW 
Hugs
Lynnecrafts xx


12 comments:

  1. A sickening act of vandelism indeed Lynne. Love both drawings. Looking forward to seeing the finished blanket next week and your latest still life drawings. Meow to Gracie and Bella. Stay safe and Happy WoYWW. Sarah #?

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://scrappystickyinkymess.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/no-roll-tunisian-crochet-tss/ is something I posted years ago for no-roll edges. There is also a comment in there someone replied that people seem to think works too. Have a look! And yes the whole tree thing was horrible and that a grotty little scrote is was that cut it down. I am appalled and saddened and share your dismay. What is the world coming to??

    Happy desk-hop day!
    Mary Anne (6)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only a sick mind would do something so terrible as chop the tree down. It really is vandalism taken to the end degree.
    Love the fact that the chevron blanket is nearly there, also the drawings. All of them, you really are showing talent.
    Hugs, Neet 8 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heart sorry to read about the chopping down of that precious tree Lynne, no words !!! Truly saddened 😔Your sketch is is beautiful ⭐️
    I have enjoyed catching up with your drawings , your photos meeting up with your tutor along with the most beautiful work from the marine exhibition... how amazing are those stitched mussels 🤩😍🥰 wow!!! Only two more strips to goooo, woohoo Lynne 🧶Such beautiful flowers from Jan 💖 you take care mrs. Much love and hugs to you Bella and Gracie 🐾💖🐾🥰 Tracy #12 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, I can't follow your link . . . says I have to be over 18 years of age!!! There you go, I'm only 60years over it!! lol
    The Tree . . . doesn't matter how much money is donated, one cannot purchase a tree like that . . . I am interested to hear the reason behind such a terrible act of vandalism . . . . I suppose he/she wanted to go down in history for something . . .
    I enjoyed your video of the Tunisian Crochet last week so I will follow your new blanket with interest.
    Enjoy your week
    Christine #17

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud at all the funnies this week, especially the Alexa one as I’d never have one of those spy listening things in my house but if it wove in ends then….. lol!! I’m still serious and sad about the pointless felling of the Sycamore Gap tree, we saw it in the flesh on our Northumberland holiday back in June, I think the coloured drawing and your sketch is a fitting tribute. I really love pen and pencil artwork, always have, I think one of the greatest exponents was Alfred Wainwright’s Guides to the Lakeland Fells, just a few pen strokes could illustrate a mountain so perfectly. The knitted mask pic was very clever. Hope you enjoy drawing the pumpkins, they have a very satisfying shape!
    Hugs LLJ 10 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah what a lovely post. Sad about the tree but a stunning card by Marion. Your chevron blanket is truly beautiful. And.. I too laughed out loud at the funnies. xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can’t see any reason why someone would chop down a tree like that. It is sheer vandalism. I have only seen it in the Robin Hood film, such a shame. The funnies really got me laughing this week. Happy WOYWW. Angela #9

    ReplyDelete
  9. You might not think this, but the cutting of the Sycamore Gap tree made news in my world, too. Since the offender is a minor, he probably won't be treated too harshly. Here in the states, we would try him as an adult and throw as much time as allowed by law as we could at him. I'd like to see him rot in jail for life, but we all know that won't happen. Off my soap box and onto your lovely story. It was beautiful and a loving bond between daughter and father and a tree.

    Wow. Your chevron quilt is almost finished. I know you are going to be glad when it's finished. I hope to see it completed next week.

    LOVED the funnies. Alexa was hilarious and so was the crochet counting as exercise. Big hugs to Bella and Gracie from Bleubeard, Squiggles, and me.

    Thanks for visiting while I slept. Happy WOYWW from # 4.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really was a dreadful act of vandalism. I love the card though, and also your story. Great funnies, too. Happy WOYWW Helen #3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, your blanket is just lovely, it's probably finished by now. I do like the Tunisian crochet style I must say, and I too have a baby blanket or something to do reasonably soon...haven't really decided what though..shall watch you with interest as usual! The graphite pencil pics you've chosen are amazing, one because it has such detail, and the other because it almost has no detail yet says so much of the landscape, how clever these artist are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the tree picture/painting caught my eye too. Funny you should be talking about trees as we had the tree surgeons in yesterday (another reason for my late responses - yet again - after the dentist and GPs....) We have our Magnolia, Silver Birch and Red Robin trimmed back every few years as they take over such a small garden. The Magnolia is massive - the biggest they have seen - it's about 50 years old I suspect, the Silver Birch is also massive and only about 13 years old. They are all very healthy thank goodness. Hugs BJ#16

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.