Wednesday 16 February 2022

WOYWW 663 Roman shields and chocolates



Hi,
Back again for our weekly blog hop courtesy of Julia at The stamping-ground.
I finished my tea cosy this week. 

I couldn’t find my acrylic stuffing so I used wool. Crocheting it into loops seemed to help. 



Brian’s verdict is that “it’s a good thing”, as it’s the sort with holes for handle and spout, so he uses it more often than the cover type. 

I am taking part in the 1900th anniversary of Hadrian’s wall, by sending knitted bunting with a Roman shield design to be used to yarn bomb part of it. 
We lived nearby for nearly 10 years so I feel a connection to it. The knitting pattern is here 
 There are more details about the project here: 
https://www.vindolanda.com/Event/1900-bunting-challenge
There are opportunities to crochet or sew bunting as well. I’ve taken part in yarn bombing around Aldermaston to protest against nuclear and chemical weapons before, but I’ve never done it to commemorate something so old!
Back to the present, I made my husband some chocolates for St Valentine’s. This time they were walnut and apricot. Judging by the speed with which they’re disappearing, they’re his favourite yet. 😻

It’s the first time I’ve used this mould. It’s not so easy to produce clean edges as the other one. Here, I’m sifting cocoa powder over the hearts to make them easier to pick up. 

Gracie gave me a scare this week. She disappeared for most of the day and we couldn’t find her anywhere. I felt sick with worry. Of course she’d just hidden somewhere in the house. 
Both cats now have AirTag Bluetooth discs on their collars. You can see the pink tag holder on Bella here. 


 I’ve not managed to get a picture of Gracie with hers yet but they both seem to tolerate them ok. 


And finally….



Do you know where this one’s from? I’ll tell you next week if you don’t. 
Take care and happy crafting!
Hugs
Lynnecrafts x




11 comments:

  1. What a cool project for the Wall! And your cozy is quite cute as well. I used to love making choclates every year for Xmas gifts, with a friend of mine, but I left all my candymaking supplies with her when we moved over here in the early 90s. Would be fun to do that again with my daughter - I've been loving your flavour experiments!

    Have the happiest of WOYWW!
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute tea cosy! I've never tried making chocolates. I know how worrying it is when your cat goes missing. The tags sound like a good idea to track them, but Oreo never tolerated anything around his neck. Once he had an open wound (caused my the microchipping!) and he almost suffocated himself when I tried to bandage it for him. I'm always amazed when I see cats dressed up in various costumes - he would never let me do that to him, not in a million years! Fun cartoons, but I don't get the second one? Have a lovely week! xx zsuzsa #7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions, Lynne! I'll definitely look into them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Spanish Inquisition made me laugh out loud! So many people look at me weirdly if I say 'Not the Comfy Chair'! A bit like if I say 'Crivens'.....just as well Rhys gets me eh?! The bunting is looking fab, your intarsia is very even and the tea cosy made me smile, a fun project. I'll take you up on the zoom call but I found a good pattern (ie simple!) online. Be good to catch up though, maybe next week?
    Hugs LLJ 3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the teapot cosym-mso appropriate for you two with the cats. Have you always been cat lovers?
    the bunting is fabulous - how good is that going to look strung across wherever it ends up. Certainly no mistaking what it is.
    I made some fudge the other day but it didn't quite set so we ate it with a spoon. I just cannot get hold of cocoa so used drinking chocolate as I was desperate for some of mum's old chocolate fudge. You are making expert chocolates, such a fab shape.
    Hugs, Neet 2 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great knitting and the chocolates look delicious. No idea about the last cartoon,but it was funny. Angela #9

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I wonder what Hadrian would make of his wall being yarnbombed!! Sounds great fun. The chocolates look yummy, maybe you'll get a regular order for that flavour if he likes them that much! Naughty Grace, I love that your response ws to tag her!! At least you won't worry in the future. Love the cat funny but no idea about the other one.... Happy WOYWW, love n hugs, Cindyxx #15

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynne, loving the Tea Cosy it's so cute. lucky hubby your chocolate is to die for and apricots just work so well with chocolate. I smiled about your kitty going missing because it reminded me of when we looked after my sister-in-law's cat. Every day we went to feed her and change the litter tray but there was no sign of her anywhere other than the fact that we could see she had been eating. We searched everywhere but no cat. Luckily for her we didn't shut the door to the airing cupboard as that apparently is her favourite place and she gets right in towards the back so no one can see her. Loving the funnies and wishing you a very happy woyww, Angela x8x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adoe your tea cosy Lynne 🐈🐈 and your bunting is gorgeous πŸ₯° it's going to look beautiful all strung up for all to see. Bet the chocolates are deeelish. I made truffles for my boys( grown men now lol)for Christmas with the promise that if they returned the tin I would refill...I'm starting toooo feel like a truffle making machine as one tin keeps ... reappearing weekly πŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ˜€stay safe sending hugs your way Tracy xxxx #25
    P.S
    Glad your fur baby turned up and all is well, sucb a worry. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tea cozy. I used to have one, must have downsized it when we moved several years ago. Wow! you made chocolates? My hubby would love that. I just made him a paper card. Hugs! #21

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous teacosy!
    Happy WOYWW!
    Stay safe and keep well!
    I am determined to call and comment on all of you this week!
    Susan #10
    Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.