Tuesday 26 December 2023

WOYWW 760 Brain twisters and Christmas

Hi all, I hope you had a great Christmas. It was just us two and the cats, a haunch of wild boar, some good French wine, B’s mince pies and my Christmas cake. 
 I finished B’s slipover so it became a Christmas present, switched with his birthday present for the end of January. 
I had some excellent crafty presents:
Crochet hooks from Henryetta’s Hooks

An alpaca wool bag

And a curious but useful wool holder, as well as jewellery and clothes. 

I set myself a right brain twister for Twixtmas. 
This cowl looks so pretty. It’s a double sided crochet, worked on both sides alternately. I thought it would be nicely intricate. 
I treated myself to some fancy Uruguayan 4ply yarn ( my annual present to myself in memory of my Mum) and set to. The trick I’d learned for not twisting a long chain came in handy:
Rows 1 and 2 were ok, but then came the dreaded row 3. There are even blogs about how horrendous it is. https://cup-of-stitches.blogspot.com/2019/07/dotty-cowl-free-pattern-and-tutorial.html?m=1.  It is quite the worst-written pattern I’ve ever tried. 
I think I eventually got through row 3 and am now on my um 5th try at row 4! The trouble is that those who’ve succeeded have made a beautiful cowl. It’s not going to beat me 😡.  Bella’s helping 😻
Bella and Gracie had catnip mice for Crispmouse and really like them. 

I haven’t managed to snap Gracie with one yet, but they both wish you all happy Crispmouse and all the best for the new year. 


And finally…




A happy and healthy new year to you all, 
Hugs
Lynnecrafts xx



14 comments:

  1. So glad you had a fab Christmas, the slip over for Bri turned out beautifully. You had some fab prezzies, the hooks are beautiful and that ball winder (?) whatsit looks intriguing. The crib tournament stands 18-16 to me, mwahahaha but there’s another 24 hours before he leaves for home, lol! Have you seen that Sarah Brennan is organising a Crop in Stoke in May?
    Hugs and Happy New Year from us all,
    LLJ 9 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Christmas, Lynne. Your gifts look lovely and I hope you master the pattern for the cowl as the finished thing looks amazing. you do like a challenge, don't you?! Great funnies, as always. Helen #'8

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Cowl pattern, but it looks more than a tad complicated. Good luck with it. Love that last funny photo . Your husband must have been pleased with his slipover - it looks great! Happy New Year and happy WOYWW. Angela #1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Lynne. Hope you can make the crop. Being quick with my visits today as we are heading over to Mum's for her birthday soon. Stay safe, Happy WOYWW and Happy New Year. Sarah #13

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your finished slipover is really lovely but oh my you lost me completely on the double crochet cowl- now that really is the black arts if crochet. Will love to see the results. Happy New Year. x x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super slip over and great to get it done for Christmas. Love the wool holder and hope you manage to get the better of the cowl pattern. Happy New Year Hugs BJ #3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of love in every stitch! May the new year bring more of the same, and may it bring us peace Robyn 2

    ReplyDelete
  8. My word, Santa unpacked his sack at your house. Lovely gifts!
    Still not touched the Stollen, Lebkuchen and the Christmas cake remains intact - it might be a birthday cake in the end.
    Hugs & Best Wishes, Neet xx7

    ReplyDelete
  9. The alpacas look real cute and that crochet pattern is sure challenging! A bit like one of those impossible puzzles! We didn't buy anything for Oreo - he never seems very impressed with his presents, but he did get a taste of the salmon on Christmas Eve and the roast chicken the next day! Thanks so much for your visit, Lynne - best wishes for 2024! xx zsuzsa #12

    ReplyDelete
  10. The alpacas look real cute and that crochet pattern is sure challenging! A bit like one of those impossible puzzles! We didn't buy anything for Oreo - he never seems very impressed with his presents, but he did get a taste of the salmon on Christmas Eve and the roast chicken the next day! Thanks so much for your visit, Lynne - best wishes for 2024! xx zsuzsa #12

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you, great gifts you received. I know you'll finish the Cowl and it will be lovely to wear. Sending Christmas woyww hugs to you and the kitties, Angela x11x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That slipover looks really warm and fashionable. We'll done you and lucky hubby. Enjoy wearing your cowl, you'll manage to finish it and it will be beautiful.
    Happy New Year to you both. I'm hoping, in a way, to still be here so I can celebrate with 'friends'
    Christine #6

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! You are well ahead for the birthday gifts. It looks super cozy. And love the yarn holder. Centre pull balls get into a snarl nowadays much more than they pull freely. Excellent funnies, and sweet kitties - no Poppy on mine this week but there will be soon I'm sure.
    Happy Christmas week WOYWW!
    Mary Anne (5)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that cowl looks way way too complicated for me, I really am admiring of your tenacity. Is Brian the best dressed man in Kent this week?! That slipover is fab, the colours are just great. I think that might be the most spaced out zbella cat ever, wish catnip could do that for all of us! Thank you so much for the lovely sea glass Christmas card, don't people have such great ideas! I am in receipt of your novel (at last) and very excited to be settling down with it on an evening in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting; it would be great if you could leave a comment, thanks. Please note your identification will be visible to other readers of this blog.